Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Familiar Symptoms?

Can anyone relate to this?  Over the last three years have had episodes that are becoming more frequent and longer-lasting - maybe once a month.  First sign is feeling very, very cold.  Then abdominal pain, wave-like.  After a few hours, will have normal bowel movement.  Then I begin vomiting.  Then severe, watery diarrhea.  Spells can last from four hours to two/three days, followed by days of extreme fatigue.  Have had gallbladder removed 10 years ago and all possible tests.  Had CT scan while I was having one of these attacks and doctor said he saw "abnormal loops" in intestines.  Best guess is that the intestine gets "caught" in scar tissue left over from previous abdominal surgery.  Suggest more surgery to remove tissue.  Have hiatal hernia, but no real GERD problem.  Do experience some sort of esophageal spasm in area between breasts sometimes after eating.  Am middle-aged, overweight woman not on any medication.  Has anyone had a similar experience?  Thanks for sharing.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Yes.  Light yellow/orange.  But don't recall any heart flutter.
Helpful - 0
Nonna, I have episodes like you describe! When you have the diarrhea, is it light, pale yellow? Also, right before the diarrhea I have heart flutters or skips. I have had my gallbladder removed (3 yrs. ago) I have trouble with bananas, meats, corn, most carbs. and raw anything. Sound familiar?? Thanks for any information! Dondi
Helpful - 0
Stomach doesn't get distended, but gets sore.  What your cousin had sounds like what I have and it's helpful to know that someone else experienced it and had it fixed.  Thanks for letting me know.
Helpful - 0
That sounds like an intestinal obstruction. My cousin had a loop like that from scars of her appendix operation and it's very easy to just go in there and snip the tissue that's holding up the loop. If your bowel get's completely blocked that's a medical emergency that needs fixed right away but you would be so sick and in so much pain that you would seek treatment. A friend of mine died from luekemia and she had bowel obstruction at the end, started with diahrea and vomiting and eventually no bowel movement at all. Does you stomache get distended with your symptoms?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem