Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

what's the next step?

I recently had a colonoscopy, egd, gallbladder ultrasound and liver profile tests amongst other blood work(CBC, insulin, thyroid, lupus, Malabsorbtion,etc). Nothing was found with my tests except slightly elevated bilirubin (which has been found on me before). The reason I have had all these tests is because I have a very intense dull pain on my right side under my rib cage that won't go away. It does not seem to be bothered by food because it happens at anytime...even at night. My belly bloats to uncomfortable levels if I eat or not and with the bloating the pain increases. I feel terribly tired, even when I wake up in the morning. This pain came on all of a sudden about a year ago and has remained. My question is, " What can I do next?" My GI doctor did all these tests but hasn't bothered to pusue my pain any further after my results came back fine. I have also been to my gyn. and had hormone levels tested, intervaginal ultrasound (found very small follicle cysts--I was told not a concern, they will go away) and will be doing a laperoscopy to look for endometriosis. I don't believe the pain on my right side is related to my menstrual pain because the right sided pain under the rib cage is very isolated and tender to touch. What can I do? What should I be asking my GI to do? My husband says I get very pale and ill looking(already tested for anemia and tests were fine). Next step, please? Thanks, Daws (37 years old, eat very healthy, exercise and thin)
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear DAWS,

You always give good advice here, so I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem!

Find another, better, more thorough, more curious, more caring GI doc, as soon as possible! You really need, at least, a second opinion!

Your husband's observations are important (about you looking pale & ill). Your present GI doc is missing something! He's not explaining the cause of your pain. Either he can't, or he won't do what it takes to really help you figure out what's going on. This is why you need a second or third or fourth opinion, and soon!

I would also follow Pixie's advice.

I wish you the best!

Sincerely, Concerned lady

http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
***@****
Helpful - 0
I would suggest asking for a HIDA scan, although one of the meds used during this test is in short supply.. Maybe they have a substitute?  Not sure.. But it is a test that measures the function of the gall bladder.  I had almost identical complaints to yours, all my tests were fine, except for the HIDA Scan.  That showed my gallbladder could fill but not empty.  I had this problem for about 1 & 1/2 years, and during that time adhesions formed around it which probably contributed to that pain as well.  I didn't have stones, my gallbladder was just all inflamed.  It's called acalculus cholecystitis.  

Just wanted to throw this out there, might want to check it out.  Hope you feel better!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem