Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

severe bloating

3 weeks ago the day after I started my period I began bloating. Within 2 days I had gained 10 lbs. and went from wearing a size 3 to not even being able to get a size 12 on. I have been to my gyn. He did a pelvic ultra sound. Which showed my uterus was inlarged, but sayed this wouldn't cause this much bloating. He sent me to a internist. Who tested my colon and did blood work, she said that was all fine. She sent me to a gastr. Dr. He sent me to get a gall bladder ultra sound. I am waiting on these results. I am miserable. Everytime I eat I get huge. (I am always bloated, it just get's worse after I eat.)I look like I am about 6 month's pregnate. I sure felt a lot better than this when I was pregnate. If anyone has had this kind of thing before, and you can give me some idea's I sure would appreciate it. The Dr.'s don't seem to know what it is.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I also get bloated and used to be constipated all the time.  Since then I have discontinued multivitamins that have iron in them so I am no longer constipated.  (Rather, things have gone the other way.)  I do have a short torso and very painful premenstrual and menstrual cramping with the beginnings of endometriosis.  I still can't figure out why I am always constipated.  I am about 120 pounds and carry most of my weight in my stomach area and upper thighs.  If anyone can enlighten me please do.  Thanks.
Helpful - 0
I have been dealing with this for the last 5 years.  I have had a flexible sigmoidoscopy, upper GI, berium enema, cat scan, ultra sound and just last week a colonoscopy.  Nothing!  I cried!  I just want some relief!  I look 4-5 months pregnant most of the time.  My main complaints to begin with was that I am always constipated and full of gas that won't move out, cramps in the lower ab.  My stomach has gotten so huge I have had to unbutton my pants/skirts.  I can't even fit into most of my clothes.  Dr's don't have answers for me either.  I hope one is reading this so they can help.  Sorry I don't have any answers just support to let you know I am in the same boat.  Sinking boat that is.  Anti-depressants here we come. I to am a freak about exercising, thinking it's going to help.  NOt so far.
Helpful - 0
I too feel the same way. I haven't been to a doctor yet, but everytime I eat I get so bloated. My pants get tight, and it's just so uncomfortable. It's very discouraging too because I'm working out and eating healthy, drink lots of water...and I just don't feel like I'm getting anywhere because I feel like my stomach is sticking out. Sometimes it's hard to suck it in too. At first I thought I might be lactose intolerant so I bought some Lactaid, but it seems even with that...I'm still getting bloated. I just noticed this happening as of the past 4 months. I don't know what it is. I thought maybe irriatable bowel syndrome? If you find out anything, let me know.
Helpful - 0
Fey
I too, have been suffering from this awful bloating for about 2 years. I have been on Nexium with no results. I left the Dr. (my second) Wednesday, crying. His words were "there is nothing I can do." I have experienced gurd in the past but think this is completely under control. One dr sent me for a scope but was uable to complete it because of a twist in my colon. I have (since Wed.) used corectol to clean my colon-it never empties. I have been on soft foods since, and have not bloated. I will start to introduce fibers and solids to my diet gradually. Am very active excercise daily eat right drink more than enough water and too have gained a massive amount of weight for me.If I see no results soon I'll need an antidepressent!!!
Helpful - 0
I am just bloated in my stomach. No the Dr. had no idea why  my uterus was inlarged. I have fybroid's, but he said that it would not make my stomach that big.He doesn't think that it is a female problem.That is why he sent me to a to an internist he felt it was something else. She looked at my colon said it wasn't that sent me back to my gyn. Then he sent me to the gastro. Dr.I am just about tired of the back and forth stuff. I just want to know something. Thanks for your suggestion. I will bring it up to the next Dr. I see.
Helpful - 0
Gaining 10 pounds in 2 days is not normal. Have your eating habits changed at all? Are you bloated all over (face, hands, feet) or just your stomache? A large gain over a short period could indicate a heart or kidney problem. Keep going to the doctor till you find answers. Did the gynecologist say why your uterus is enlarged?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem