Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What's going on?

KDK
It would be great to get some insight as to what's going on with my stomach.  I'm a healthy 27 year old male.  6'1" and 180lbs.  I am active and even played football in college and would consider myself as having top-notched health.  Only about 3-4 weeks ago, I noticed that I felt full all of the time.  I didn't pay much attention and continued to eat meals as normal.  I then noticed my restroom patterns were changing, less frequent.  So I took something to speed it up (if you know what I mean).  Well the full feeling never went away so I figured I'd not eat anything until my stomach felt empty.  It's been about 16 hours since my last meal and yes, I feel sort of weak, but I don't feet hungry and my stomach doesn't feel empty.

I was wondering if anyone has ever had the same experience.  What are your thoughts?

KDK
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
KDK
Does anyone recommend a good gastroenterologist in Atlanta?
Helpful - 0
You may have a "stomach motility disorder", where the stomach does not empty properly, thus leaving you with a full, bloated feeling. I was just diagnosed with this through a "gastric emptying test", which was very simple. They give you something to eat with a radioactive material (very minute, you can't taste it or anything), then take pictures of your stomach over 90 minutes while you lay flat on a table with an imaging device over your torso. completely painless and non invasive. Your stomach should empty by 50% in 90 minutes, and this test will show if it does that or not. As I don't know a lot about this, I don't have a lot of information, and I haven't started taking the medication for it. I probably have other problems as well, but at least this is on piece of the puzzle.
The fact that it started rather suddenly seems strange, so it might be any one of a number of things. Best to find a really good gastroenterologist, and ask all the questions you can think of. This condition can also show up as other things, such as reflux and gastritis, due to the food staying in your stomach too long. Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem