Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

GI problems

I am (was) a healthy 24 year-old male and I just had my gallbladder taken our a few weeks ago.  I did not have gall stones, but my gallbladder apparently had some odd marks on it (not cancer) that made the surgeon feel that it should come out right away. Before the surgery I was constantly nauseous, throwing up, generally feeling horrible, and having an uncomfortable feeling in my chest (heartburn), feeling run down, and having difficulty standing up straight.  
This surgeon also had me do a HIDA scan, which came back negative.  I remember the woman who did the scan saying something about a possible problem with acid reflux (bile reflux?), but I am not sure what she meant.  She mentioned this during the uncomfortable portion of the test.  What sort of reflux problem can be seen via a HIDA scan?  What can generally be done to correct that problem?  My surgeon never actually viewed the images, because the place where I had the test done never sent them.  Can this sort of reflux problem be surgically fixed?  Another doctor seems to think that I may also have GERD, but the PPI and H2 treatments have not helped my symptoms to go away at all, and I have taken these medicines correctly for over three months now.  I am wondering if I have a different sort of problem or something. It is still hard for me to stand up straight (the heartburn is also still there), and I still feel run down, and I still get nauseous a lot and throw up from time to time.  Can you think if anything that may be causing these problems?  Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Thank you!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I agree I'd check for pancrease problems. Ther is something called Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. The can cause similar symtpmoms- due a web search for more info on this. Don't just write this off. I'd find a good Gi doc that does alot of ERCPs. not hat you need one but ehyare usualy much more familiar with pancreatic problems than a regular GI doc. Most of them are at major teaching hospitals.
Helpful - 0
If you have been taking the prescriptions for GERD (acid reflux) for three months, have had your gallbladder removed,  and still have not had a reduction of your symptoms; nausea, vomiting and pain behind the sternum (feels like heartburn), I would suggest that you might have your doctor check your pancreas.  Pancreas problems and gallbladder problems often have similar symptoms, which the removal of your gallbladder, if that was the source of your problems, should have solved.  There are several tests to check pancreas insufficiency, including bloodwork, that you could have done.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem