Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Upper Abdominal pain, shortness of breath

I would like to know if anyone out there has had this problem - I have a gnawing pain in the pit of my stomach - below the breastbone and about 3 inches above the naval, shortness of breath that comes and goes, but not on exertion, tired and lack energy, sometimes pain between the shoulder blades, especially when the pit of the stomach really bothers me (and the pit of the stomach pain gets worse around my monthly cycle - which is very irregular - yet the pain does not ever completely go away).  I can not sleep lying flat because I feel like my chest gets heavy and I have problems breathing.  I have had an endoscopy, where they thought it was barretts esophagus because of the erosions at the base of the esophagus/top of stomach, but that was negative - they did find hpylori which I took a brutal round of antibiotics for - did nothing.  Also had upper GI which came out normal, saw a heart doctor and that was normal, had numerous blood tests, all turning out normal.  I must be normal!  Doctors have no clue.  One did give me Zantac, but it really did nothing.  Emergency room visit - they thought GERD and gave me Prevacid - did nothing.  Any clues or help would really be appreciated!!!
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Short of Breath was started.
Helpful - 0
I have just read your post and I think that you have hit the problem right on the target....I have been having the same symptoms as many who have posted here and in addition to finding others with very simular problems as mine I have also found a very disturbing pattern here...and that is that many are having problems and many are coming home with thier problems not solved even after paying these doctors for thier medical bills and or high insurance premiums in which they are not getting what they are paying for...this tells me that many doctors are not doing their job well or if any at all....I am greived by hearing all these people still not helped even by their doctors and as I have also been to the doctor for the same problems I too was faced with the same problem in addition to the medical mystery my doctor did not diagnose me right either....now that I have read your article on stones....I now recall that my grandfather has had the stone problem and my cousin also...stones was a thought to me but not exactly sure but I know that my diet has been very fatty...and not healthy at that....so it all adds up and makes a lot of sense....my question is....where can I go to get the liver cleansing and the bowel cleansing at...is it over the counter or does it come from the prescriptions of my doctor...what is the name of them  and where can I get it...and besides liver cleansing and bowel cleansing is there other types of cleansings that I can participate in ...in addition to the liver and bowel cleansing....to do a complete overhaul cleansing of my entire bodily functions for good measure...?
Helpful - 0
bl
It's stange, you just described my symptoms almost exactly.  I briskly walk 1 hour per day, 5 times a week with little fatigue or shortness of breath.  When I lay down, then I get short of breath, especially on my back.  I get the same pain in the pit of my stomach, and when it hurts it seems to radiate upward to my chest and shoulders.  The shoulder pain is persistent, feels like muscle pain but I'm unsure.  I do belch a lot, even when I haven't had food for hours.  I had similar tests and was put on Prilosec, from which I almost passed out.  Then put on Zantac which was ineffective.  I was diagnosed with Gastritis several years ago, but does Gastritis cause the chest and shoulder pain I seem to have?
Helpful - 0
Here's an interesting side note - I asked my chiropractor about this and he said GERD - and that kind of pain will radiate up between the shoulder blades.  He also said that there is some bone or other that is out of place which causes the very same symptoms.  A quick adjustment in the upper back area, and the shortness of breath was gone...unfortunately the pain in the pit of my stomach wasnt, although it was lessened some.  Also they did mention the vagus nerve which runs thru your stomach(and gastro) area is probably all wacked out because the parasympathetic nervous system has been affected by something.  They felt adjustments would help all this - which they did a little.  I also felt the pancreas was part of the problem, because sometimes my blood sugar goes bonkers....mostly hypoglycemic (low).  By the way - thanks everyone for all your help so far!!!!!!
Helpful - 0
YES it does! The chest pain you feel is associated with gastritis. It's the acid that causes this chest pain. As if you're having a heart attack. You mention you've had gastritis for a few yrs. Have you recently had another endoscope to see where the gastritis is going? Has it improved? I recently had a second one done and from the biopsy was told I had chronic gastritis? Isn't the pain AWFUL? How do you eat/cope? Please share. I'd give ANYTHING for this to go away. I'm surprised it hasn't with you beings it's been a long time?]
Jenn
Helpful - 0
I'm sorry to hear about your pain. It's the "Exact", exact thing I'm going through. If you read through the posts, you will see. Especially the topic, "H-Pylori." It's a little ways down, but you should read it. It's hard, I know and very, very frustrating! The H-Pylori is what is giving you that pain in the pit of your stomach. Trust me. It will eventually cause gastritis, and perhaps ulcers. Have the doctors talked about more treatment to eradicate this? My biggest problem is this pain in the pit of the stoamch. It's AWFUL! It hurts! Like nothing else. I too was given zantac, pepcid, prilosec, nexium, etc, etc. Did ABSOLUTELY NOTHINING. The new doctor is try me on protonix. So far.....there's a BIG difference. You really need something stronger for that acid. It will only cause more harm if not treated properly. I'm seeking the help of another GI and I will NOT stop until I find someone that can help. You should do the same. Keep going. There has to be a GI who can help you. Do you ever notice when you're carrying something hevy, like say bags groceries and the pain in the pit of the stomach gets worse? This happens a lot with me. Even if I'm laying in bed with a book. If the book is resting on my tummy, it will start to kill. Like somethings there. Very starnge. I also thought it was my heart. I'm always out of breath and when the pain gets really bad, it will start going to my lower back. It also burns at times, but this is the gastritis. If you find a solution, and don't give up, please post. Anything would be great ;)

-Jenifer
Helpful - 0
I have been getting,shortness of breath,abdominal pain,i feel like my stomach,is going to bust open,at times.I am always tired,besides other changes.I am now getting tested for,my pancreas,which is known to masqurade it self,for other diseases.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem