Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Pain under rib-cage,constipation, digesting food any help?

I have been suffering from these problems (pain under rib cage,constipation, digesting food, severe bloarting) for over 3yrs the dr have ran several tests to many to count ive taken i dont know how many meds nothing has helped i have turned to several herbal remedies that help for a while the only abnormalities the drs found was my pancreas with one bile duct and i was born without a gallbladder weird huh  well recently my sister has been having the same problems any ways the drs are going to start the test on her my mom belives that these might be birth defects due to a morning sickness pill she took when she was pregnant with us because our symptoms seem to be occuring around the age of 26. but the drs say there was no pill or study that they know of so i hope maybe someone can help us find this pill because my moms medical records were destroyed. this pill was given in the early 1970's.  The drs. claim it is also not hereditary. any help would be appreciated
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well,  I  believe that heredity has something to do with it. My grandmother had her gallbladder out also and many things that she suffered with I also do. I'm in search to for the reasons you describe..pain under the rib cage, extreme bloating after meals....and the only thing that I have found to help is to decrease my fat intake to under 20 grams a day.  I had all the tests done and all were fine. My gastro says it's IBS..I believe when our digestive system is compromised in any way, it puts an extra burden on the rest .  Of course this is just my theory. I have also increased my fiber intake to 30 grams a day and drink 8 glasses of water....which is really all I drink now. It has taken a few weeks but I feel so much better and it is better to be out of pain(which was constant) even if the diet is hard to follow....but it is worth it to me. Here's a typical food intake for the day....3 prunes in the morning with my Fiber One Cereal and 2 glasses of water (you can have a cup of coffee, also) Mid morning......a piece of fruit......Lunch...steamed carrots and brocolli, tuna fish (plain), low-fat cottage cheese, 3 ritz crackers, and yogurt for desert.  I have a mid afternoon snack, usually fruit( I love Mango and so does my parrot) and for dinner I have usually chicken or fish, 1/2 sweet potato or veggies (steamed or a salad),rice and for desert Jello or sherbert. During the day I drink an additional 6 glasses of water and never eat after 8 o'clock at night...If I get a craving for something sweet...how about angel food cake with fresh strawberries ( 0 fat) or a few low-fat Nilla Wafers.
I know this takes time to adjust to but give it a try...it won't hurt you and it just may help.  Good luck .....keep posting....Aniee
Helpful - 0
Thank you ainee1 for responding.  unfortanatlly i have tried avoiding fatty foods,etc. and it has not helped this is with anything i eat. right know i am trying to avoid less water because i drink alot of water and it seems to make the bloating worse. ive tried different fibers and that as well does not help or it only helps for a while and then im back to the same condition.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem