Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

gastritis after h.pylori treatment is this normal?

I went to the dr. about a year ago for a cold,dr. gave me amoxicillin and 3 days later i started having bad nausea and diarreah lost some weight so i went back to dr. and he said i had pseudomembranous colitis,gave me flagil to take and to stop the amoxicillin that caused it.took the flagyl still feeling sick and loosing weight.a week later i was having a burning sensation and nausea and they checked for h.pyliori,which came back positive,dr.gave more flagyl toghether withtetraciclyne and pepto bismol.got better but  after the treatment i get gastritis most of the time.i dont have the bacteria on me anymore,but i still feel sick and nauseaus.i had ultrasound of the abdomen blood work and everything is fine.i dont know what to think and i am scared this could end up been cancer or something.i am 30,fema;e and very healthy with no stomach problems before this.thank you for any input in advance.
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, abdominal acute pains with swelling was started.
Helpful - 0
reb
In the mean time, take probiotics, they REALLY  help after H. Pylori treatment. Even if that isn't the problem, they will not do any harm in the meantime while you wait for the other tests.
Helpful - 0
symptoms;about an hour after i eat i get nauseaus,not all the time but most of it.i am on famotidine40mg twice a day.no pain or anything else just the nausea accompnied with a weak feeling sometimes.its horrible.
Helpful - 0
what symptoms are you having "Now". Please explain.
Helpful - 0
please go 2ur doc and demand an endoscopy my sister in law has had something like u and was treated during the treatment it went away but 2 weeks later it came back doc says its just indigestion and gives losec tabs which masked the symptoms she then started losing weight gradually then after a few more months doc took blood she was aneamic losing blood from back passage he put her down to get a routine check  waiting list in scotland 9 months but could not wait this long she had to go herself to a/e they gave her an endoscopy that showed stomach cancer ct scan showed it has spread to her liver but her doc says he didnt think it was cancer because she is only 41 and at this age is very rare i dont mean to worry you but try and get it checked asap especially if u are losing weight and fining u are begining to eat soft food and liquid food more sorry for being so morbid but if someone had given her better advice she might have had a chance in life
Helpful - 0
If you've never had a endoscopy I would highly suggest it. My HP was found through the endoscopy with biopsy and it also showed the gastritis. It sounds like you may need more invasive testing. Get to the bottom. Don't wait until things get worse. An endoscopy will show a LOT!
Helpful - 0
yes,i have had blood work ,also had ulrasound of my abdomen,all was fine.people and also the dr. tell me that the treatment for h.pylory is kind of strong.
Helpful - 0
I HIGHLY doubt it's cancer. You would NO if you had stomach cancer and so would the doctors. You would also be throwing up blood and have tar like stools!

It sounds a LOT like your gallbladder! You need to get back to the GI and if he doesn't help YOU NEED to move on to another who will! DON'T wait!!!!! Have you had ANY tests?
Helpful - 0
reb
Hi, welcome to the club! Yes, it is completely normal to have gastritis after treatment with antibiotics after H. Pylori treatment or for treatment of anything else. I wouldn't worry about cancer or anything like that. I had intense treatment with antibiotics for pneumonia, and developed crippling stomach pains afterwards... but don't worry, if you take probiotics it will get better. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut as well as the bad therefore you can't digest things causing inflammation and pain. I can't believe doctors don't warn you, or seem to care when one develop gastritis after antibiotics, as they seem to think it will just grow back (in a few months), it does, but the pain can be crippling in the mean time... but after just after a few days taking probiotics, my pain subsided. It is wise to take probiotics for a couple of months after antibiotic treatment. Also I have found drinking aloe vera juice helps. Best of luck.
Helpful - 0
Read down the board, many people believe that the antibiotics can make the gastritis worse.  Are you taking probiotics? They seem to be helping some of us.  I personally would avoid PPI's or other acid suppressors, they also seem to make things worse.  Talk to a good GI doc.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem