Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Please Help, I have an 8 yr old w/ongoing abdomen pain

Hi, I have an 8 yr old who has had ongoing abdomen pain for the past year. He says it hurts around his belly button.  He also has the episodes where his stomach hurts very badly along w/ a headache and he starts shivering/shaking and all he wants to do is lay down, these only last for about 10 minutes, not triggered by any food though. His pediatric gastro had a scan done where he drinks the barium and he has been on prevacid. The latest info they put him on a "milk free" diet and protonix, the diet lasted about 1 week, he didn't want to eat and he was getting weak. They now have scheduled a gastric empyting scan.  Does anyone know what this is and how it works and how they do it? Also if anyone has had these symptoms or their child, please email me.  Thanks
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
In addition to everything that you good parents are doing, I recommend you look for websites by Dr. Fine, about FOOD SENSITIVITIES AND MALABSORPTION.

This can include GLUTEN INTOLERANCE, also called CELIAC DISEASE (& Sprue).

Also, I HIGHLY recommend PRO-BIOTICS (beneficial, edible bacteria), such as BIFIDUS INFANTUM, by "Ethical Nutrients". At a good health food store, look for a milk-free type, with only rice maltodextrin as the "filler" in the powder. Keep refrigerated. Follow label directions.

When the website called http://www.braintalk.org comes back up (it's being worked on), please go to the Peripheral Neuropathy forum, and look for a "thread" by JCC about FOOD SENSITIVITIES AND MALABSORPTION, which will have good links to Dr. Fine's websites!

I also hope you all find some BETTER DOCTORS who will look for safer (and effective) ways to treat your children's digestive problems.

Sincerely, Concerned lady
http://cantbreathesuspectvcd.com
Helpful - 0
Hi Wharton, thanks for your info, can you please email me.

Thx,
***@****
Helpful - 0
i also have a 8 yr. with stomach pains w/fever chills and also the pain is around the belly button area. we have been in and out of the hospital finally we were able to see a pedi gi doctor at texas childrens hospital and he did a colonoscopy (lower) on her and took some biops. from the lower bowel and say she has eosinophillic colitis and put her on prednisone and we are to take this for a month and see how she does.but before she was put through the test they had put her on prilosec. i have done a lot of looking on the computer about all the gi problems in kids and alot of children around the age that they are have IBD and they symtoms are alot like the eosinophillic colitis. with my child she also does not gain any wieght she hasn't in two years which is also related to ibd. i hope anything i have told you helps it help me knowing that someone else has the same problem and would like to get to the bottom of it. email me back if you like with any questions or any information that would help us.
Helpful - 0
I have a 3 year old who often complains of "belly sick".  He has bouts of doubling over, cold sweats, gas and frequent diaherrea.  Occasionally he wakes up from a sound sleep, crying in pain.  Last week we went in for a lactose intolerant test that came back inconclusive and also had blood work done.  The blood test came back with elevated and the doctor mentioned that he was concerned about his liver.  Why?  My son does make frequent trips to the bathroom to urinate.  We have an upper gi and an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow and the doctor wants to see him following the procedures.  Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?
Helpful - 0
the gastric emptying study is an easy test.  they will make your son eat an egg sandwich that has some radioactic stuff in it and then lay him on a table and place a big xray monitor over his tummy.  they will watch and take pictures of his stomach as the egg mixture goes through the stomach and then emptys.  it is painless, it could take an hour or so depends on how long the stomach takes.  Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem