Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Kinda scared!!

Hi...I posted a message about a month ago and i am still having problems.  My problem is pain in the left side...sometimes in the upper-mid back, sometimes around front of the rib cage, and sometimes side of rib cage.  Abdominal pain with this is minimal, however, at times just a little ache.  The pain with this can only be described as a dull, burning ache, never sharp in nature.  I'm able to sleep pain free.  A quick history, treated for H-pylori in April, Laparoscopic gallbladder removal in May.  Original ultrasound before surgery on gallbladder showed only the gallstones, liver, pancreas, spleen, and kidneys were normal.  This ultrasound was done about a month ago.  After surgery, had an Upper GI to rule out ulcers, etc.  That too was normal.  Blood work looking for liver, kidney, and pancreas abnormalities was all normal.  Had a CAT scan done last week and it showed a small right renal cyst, which my doctor assures me is not worrisome...however, what does worry me is this.  The scan showed a 4 cm prominence anterior to the left kidney near the tail of the pancreas.  Report says "liver, spleen, and pancreas are normal.  The 4 cm prominence most likely represents loops of unopacified bowel."  Both of the doctors I work with assure me that it is probably just that, but to have an ultrasound to make sure.  I am somewhat comforted that my initial US was normal in this area, however, I'm still a little worried.  I go for the ultrasound tomorrow and I'm really pretty nervous about it and of course my pain seems much worse having to wait the weekend for the test!!  Any ideas??
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
You sound like me! I had my gallbladder removed just over a year ago and I still have problems. Pain in my upper left side that goes through to my back. Though my pain is dull through my back ...it can be pinching in the front near my heart.

I have had 2 Ultra Sounds an MRI an Endoscopy. Blood tests and everything comes back normal.  I have had my heart looked at as well...Eco and stress test. Gallbladder removed...which was what they thought this pain was from in the first place....now we are lost.

I thought it might be of Spincter of oddi problems but the Doc says he doesn't think that's it.

My GI Doctor believes it's Acid Reflux so he put me on 2 doses of  40 mgs. Protonix daily and I have been on it for 6 months and have got very little relief (IF ANY) with this medication. I also would like to note that I DO NOT have heartburn (acid that comes up my throat).

I gaged to much trying to take the 24hour PH monitering so acid couldn't be measured that way.

I have dropped ALL chocolate, coffee (even decafe), I have started taking DGL and cut the FAT intake WAY BACK...And I still have pain. Doing this has seemed  to make the pain more tolerable . But then there are times this pain has NO rythum or reason.

I have my good days and bad days. But I can feel it underlying waiting to flair up.

Please contact me if you get ANY anwsers....my name is Vicki...(***@****)

Helpful - 0
Hi Wheat...thanks for responding.  When I posted before, a lot of the feedback I got was that this could be gastritis.  I've tried, Nexium, Prevacid, and Protonix and they really don't seem to help.  I've also tried probiotics without much change in symptoms.  I guess right now my concern is the finding on the CT scan and what it could possibly be if it isn't the "likely dilated loops of unopacified bowel".  I've been doing a lot of research and since the pancreas, liver, spleen, all look normal and the prominence is anterior to the kidney...I guess it probably is related to the intestine in some way.  I'm just guessing of course, but would appreciate any feedback from someone that has had similar findings.
Helpful - 0
Is it possible that you are just suffering from Gastritis.  Even though you were treated for H. Pylori, the gastritis can take up to a year to resolve, I know I am there.  I also was treated in April (Prevpack) for H. Pylori and still have indegestion and abdomnial pain.  Gastritis can cause some of the symptoms you are describing.  You may want to discuss this with your GI.  Are you on any acid suppression?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem