Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How safe is Nexium

I have been take two (40mg) Nexium twice a day now since Satruday and I'm hearing that I should be feeling relief within a day or two.  I have some relief but still experience burning under my breastbone when I wake in the AM and periodically during the day.

I was diagnose w/gastritis and mild reflux four years ago and experience symptoms off and on.  Prior to Nexium I was taking Prevacid but during this bout (about a month now), it gave me no relief so the doctor has me on Nexium until I see him In July.

The nurse told me last nite that taking two Nexium was safe and it's more common to see total relief within a day or so. When I told her that I haven't, she said that sometimes it takes longer depending on how bad the irritation is.  

Any thoughts on this?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Dyspepsia was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, nexium was started.
Helpful - 0
The main ingrediant in maalox is the same as phillips milk of magnesia so if you take to much maalox it works likes phillips...
Helpful - 0
I am also on Nexium as an EGD showed Grade 1 Esophagitis. I am suppose to take 40mg. x twice a day.  My Gastro doc never told me how to take these and the other day, i saw my pulmonary doc and he told me to take the Nexium when i first get up in the AM, then brush my teeth, get dressed and then have breakfast. He said the same with the evening pill....take it prior to dinner and not at or with dinner.  I am having terrible bouts of upper air/gas distention.  He wants me on Milocan (spelled wrong) gas drops and Gaviscon Liquid to help this.
Helpful - 0
I also take two Nexium a day.  It took about a week for me to feel total relief.  Now if I miss a dose, I know about it and suffer the consequences.  I've never heard of Nexium being bad for you.  As for the other post about the Maalox, I've not heard of it being an laxative.  However, I do know that Nexium can cause you to have runny bowel movements.  Well, that's my two cents worth.  Have a GREAT day!
Helpful - 0
I use Maalox along with my nexium and it helped speed things along for me. Don't take to much maalox though its basically a laxitive also.
Helpful - 0
I also, am taking Nexium,  It helps somewhat but I still have some pain,  there is a definite improvement.  I have not heard anything about Nexium being harmful so it will be interesting if anyone else comments on this.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem