Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

An absolutely amazing diagnosis

For 2 years I have suffered symptoms of lightheadedness(to the point of feeling like I would pass out on some days), tingling sensations in my lower legs and feet mostly,but other areas sometimes, loose bowel movements, shaky feeling, blurry spots in my vision, tiredness etc...I saw my family doctor, who referred me to a neurologist (scary),opthomologist,  gastroenterologist etc...It seemed that I had every test done matching to my symptoms and everything came back normal, but I still had many days or parts of days that I felt awful.  Then someone asked me what my symptoms were when I felt bad one day and they said, "you have a sugar problem".  I went back to my family doc and told him what she said, he ordered a fasting glucose test, and bingo I have textbook hypoglycemia (low blood sugar...managable with diet and lifestyle changes).  SHARE your troubles with those who ask, listen to their opinions, and remember doctors are "PRACTICING" physicians, only God is God, the One with all the answers!
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
what is exasperating about the medical profession's ignorance about hypglycemia is that very often the cause of it is over-production of insulin (hyperinsulinism), so that if you eat sugar it gets zapped out of the blood stream immedaiately, and you only feel worse.  And hyperinsulinism means taht you are pre-diabetic.  I went to doctor after doctor for years trying to find out what was wrong with me; not a one of them ever gave me any sort of test for pancreatic function.  It is a blind area.  Not until you are fully diabetic do your tests trigger a recognition in their tiny little brains.

You MUST eliminate all sugar from your diet immediately, and the withdrawal is as intolerble as drug withdrawal but you've got to do it.  You must also elininate any fast sugar foods such as white bread, fruit, juices, and some surprising things such as eggplant.  Get a book on glycemic index to help you with food selection.  Very close in importance is general fitness which of course means exercise, and a lot of it.  Your general fitness level and health are critical.  the whole thing requires an extremely holistic approach.
Helpful - 0
I too was in the emergency room 2 weeks ago with all tests back normal.  They gave me an IV also and after a few hours of resting there I was o.k. and went home.  I've done tons of reading on hypoglycemia lately and I don't know if it ever goes away...but if diet and lifestyle changes control the awful symptoms, what easier answer could we ask for?  Complete blood counts probably will not show hypoglycemia unless you have been fasting and are having symptoms at the time of the test is what my doc told me.  So---you need to do the 5 or 6 hour fasting glucose tolerance test, which is no big deal after all of the major, expensive, scary tests I've had done!  I went from an almost protein-free diet (basically vegetarian...which is supposed to be so healthy????) to a diet more balanced with some protein---and my symptoms disappear before my eyes.  The best website I have found is http://lightning.prohosting.com/~hypoglyc/about.htm
Helpful - 0
2 weekends ago my husband had to rush himself to the ER because he felt like passing out, weak, lightheaded, and just totally bad. He was away at the Cape and had to go to the ER in Hyannis (can't wait to see THAT bill) and they said his heart and all were fine so they told him it was dehydration. (although his electrolytes all came back normal) Anyhow, all last week he was still experiencing the feeling of lightheadedness, passing out but not as severe. He went to local doc at home who thought he had been dehydrated and exhausted (he is a contractor who was working 13-14 hour days) but yet a week later he still has these "spells." He started having protein at breakfast and guess what: For 3 days he has had no symptoms! I did not think it was dehydration because why would you have symptoms a week later. At the ER they gave him iv fluids and he did feel better but had to wait a day before driving home. My husband was never one to eat breakfast but now that he is, he feels like himself again. Thanks again to this forum because this is where I first read about low blood sugar in an earlier post and now on this one. Do you guys know if this eventually goes away or is it a matter of dealing with it? Also do you have to avoid all sugar (such as in coffee or cookies) or just cut back or what? Any advice would be helpful or if you know a good website. My husband is supposed to go back to the doc on Wed. if he was still having trouble for bloodwork but maybe he should just be tested for this. Thanks again for sharing info here. This site is a real blessing. Take Care.
Helpful - 0
Thanks so much for your reply. I will share all of this info with my hubby later. You have helped a lot and I thank you. :-)
Helpful - 0
I spent two years with unnecessary test to find out what is wrong with me. Hypoglycemia is a problem which patients know. Doctors don't recognize it. The only way to diagnose it is to drink a big glass of water with sugar when you feel bad and to see if you'll feel better. And go and tell your doctor that you are hypoglycemic. I know this is funny but it is the case. Take care of your life style and be careful with your diet, you will feel better soon. THe first two months of the diet is terrible, you will feel more and more sick, your symptoms will be worse, don't give up. It will take a few weeks and you will feel better than before. Good luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem