Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Green Stool

Hi, this morning I found green stool, not bright green. I've never had this before and wondering if it's anything to worry about. I have not had any change in diet lately. Have not eaten a lot of green leafy vegetables. I HAVE eaten more fruit and red, yellow, orange peppers over the past few days, however. Please advise. Thanks.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Was there any pain after the fact?  I'm just curious if there is something I should ask for, for pain before I leave the hospital.  I know his is my nerves talking, that's why I'm on Xanax in the 1st place
Helpful - 0
I don't know exactly what type of sedative they use.  It's an IV and I was alert but didn't feel a thing, not even the tube going in.  The doctor joked alot saying it was "boring".

As I said, I thought the prep (taking laxatives, etc) was worse than the procedure.  

You will need to have someone with you to drive you home.  The sedation wears off in a few hours.

Honestly, you won't feel a thing and I'm the biggest worrier there is.  Of course you're nervous, anyone would be - it's called the fear of the unknown.  I guarantee that you will be telling the next person that it's a breeze once you have it done.
I have a scope scheduled for the end of the month and even though I had it done before, I'm still alittle nervous but not like I was the first time.

Relax, it's going to be fine - let me know how you make out.
Helpful - 0
COLONOSCOPY - And Worried About IT
by Nitewizard (WebMD), on 7/2/2002 0:55:39 AM NEW!
No I haven't transfered powers at work, but I am scared of what the procedure is. Can someone please tell me what it consist of, do they sedate you, is it painful, do they give you something for the pain if so... lead me in the right direction, I have it Monday and I'm scared well, you know.
Helpful - 0
I had one, didn't feel a thing!  You should be midly sedated, enough that you don't feel anything but awake enough to see the monitor.

I think the prep is worse than the procedure.  

Don't worry, it's a piece of cake and you'll know right there if the doctor has any concerns.  My doctor told me I was fine but took some samples anyway which turned out negative.
Helpful - 0
Nanci, what do they give you to relax you?  I've heard things from things like liquid valium to Demerol is this true, if that's the case are you even away????  Just curious and a little worried.  Thanks for your comments.
Helpful - 0
If you have the occasional green stool - don't panic! Most likely it is normal, and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation. Think about the foods you ate, any vitamins or supplements you took - even if they're not green in color.

There can be many reasons why stool appears to be green. The first and most obvious reason is - eating green foods. Green, leafy vegetables contain chlorophyll which could be coloring the stool green. Foods with dark purple coloring like Kool-Aid, popsicles, and gelatin can also result in rainbow-colored stools. Iron supplements or even foods rich in iron can also give stool a green tinge.

Stool can also appear green for physical reasons, and not just what you've been eating. Bile that is secreted in the first part of the small intestine is actually green. As stool is digested and passed through the large intestine it is turned into a darker brown color.

In breast-fed babies, green stool is a normal occurrence, especially right after delivery. In older children, the reason could be food related as described above, or even from non-food items. Eating or sucking on non-food items such as crayons might also turn stools different colors.

If stool is still green by the time it is excreted, it could mean that it went through the large intestine too fast to be changed in color. This is often called "rapid transit" or "decreased colonic transit time" and diarrhea that is green in color could be the result.

If green stool continues, or your bowel habits have changed in other ways, you may want to call your doctor. This is especially true if you are experiencing diarrhea which can be an indication of other problems or lead to dehydration
This is a cut and paste...hope it helps
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem