Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Should I be worried?

My name is Zach and I am a 19 yr old male.   I am currently being treated for anxiety problems that started 2 years ago.  Three weeks ago I went off of this drug Effexor XR 150 mg. Well now just recently I have been having extreme nausia.  Vomitting occurred twice. These past couple of weeks I have been very anxious though having spells of panic and worry.  I do not know if the Nausia is being caused by this.  The first time i threw up I noticed a tiny bit of red.  I have not had any diharrea.  I have been to a gastrointerologist in the past and he performed a colonoscopy which did not show any sort of abnormalities.  Also while there I was tested for an ulcer which turned out to be negative.  
At night however my stomach upset seems to go away partially due to the fact that I am much more relaxed.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
hi again,

i was also on 150mgs and had to tape off even slower than that.
it was slow and sure, and kind of tough, but i made it. and if i had known then what i know now, i would have insisted that i be on something for my anxiety during the process of getting off. my anxiety had me thinking all sorts of loving anxiety filled thoughts.

sure hope youre doing good and if you arent, you will be soon!

Hope
Helpful - 0
As Hopefullynothing mentioned, you should be weaned off of effexor.  Since you were on 150mg you should have went to 75mg and then on to 35mg.  Never quit any anti depressants cold turkey.  Since you have anxiety, I wonder why the doctor didn't put you on paxil?  If I were you, I would give your doctor a call explain what you have done and ask what your next move should be. How long you have been on a certain drug also will present symptons when you quit.  If you have any of the prescription I would resume taking it and give the doctor a call.  I hope you feel better soon.
Helpful - 0
hi,

you mentioned something i do have experience with.

effexor. that is a type of drug that you really need to taper off of, rather than just quit. you will get the symptoms you mentioned and possibly a few more.

in my opinion, which only goes from my experience, you should call a pharmicist and see what they say about taking a bit of the effexor, then make an appointment with your doc, to switch to a better less side effect type anti anxiety. (i am now on zoloft, and although it took about 6 weeks to work, i am doing great!)

hope this all helps. again, its just my opinion.
Helpful - 0
For some reason it submitted the question before i was done typing.  But I have been worried that I have stomach cancer due to all of the nausia?

Should I be concerned?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem