Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

There's something sticking out of my butt!

I have been chronically constipated for as long as i can remember (I'm 18), and since about 2 months ago, after passing extremely large stools, i would have something stick out of my anus. I would painlessly push it in and go about my day, but since 2 days ago, it's gotten worse and now it won't go back in for more than a few minutes, and it's getting harder to push it back in. It doesn't look like how i'd think hemorrhoids would look, because it's sort of big, like a mini marshmallow. I've been reading about what it could be and i've come across rectal prolapse, but that's been described as being "blood red", and what i've got seems to be just about skin colored. I'm freaking out. Somebody please help.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Lor
A rectal prolaps is possible. I took care of a lady once who had this. Hers was the whole rectum. When you apply pressure to a prolaps it will on its own go back in. If you have to push it back in - it probably isn't. However when you apply pressure can you feel it pulling away from your hand? If you do you need to see a Dr and have it taken care of. You are awfully young to have this. By the way it isn't blood red. Just dark in color.
Helpful - 2
It sounds very much like an internal hemmorhoid.  You should try to eat a lot more fiber than you currently do, to help from this continual constipation.  If you don't get more fiber into your diet, or take fiber supplements, this problem could get worse with time.  

It is better to adjust your eating habits to develop a diet that includes more fiber, as a lifelong goal, other than rely upon supplements and aids, especially at your age.  Also increasing your water intake, at the minimum, six or eight glasses (8 ounces each), will help to keep your bowels soft and easier to pass.  A lot of straining during constipation while at the toilet can cause these hemmorhoids.  Once you have them, they can become a problem off and on for years.
Helpful - 2
Helpful - 1

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem