Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

h.pylori testing questions???????

quick question I hope someone can answer,had a blood test done for h.pylori a year ago which was positive was treated with antibiotics.a few months later felt sick again and the dr.did another blood test which cane back positive again and made me take the antibiotics again!!!!I did some research and I found out that blood tests can come back positive after the first one for years even if you were cured!never had an endocopy  just some blood test.after the second round i was still  feeling sick so she ask for a quantitative of h. pylori which came as none bacteria found.my question is can you get reinfected again?are those blood test acurate?
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
MY DAUGHTER WAS TO HAVE THIS TEST DONE WITH CHECKING FOR OTHER THINGS TOO. MY QUESTION IS CAN THIS CAUSE YOU TO VOMIT EVERY MORNING (BY THE WAY SHE IS NOT PREGANT) AND HAVE PAIN UNDER THE BREAST BONE , THEY HAVE SAID THAT SHE HAS A HYDIAL HERNIA AND GASTRIC WEAKNESS . I JUST WONDER IF IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THIS COULD BE WHAT IT IS .. THE DOCTORS HAVE NOT LET ME KNOW ANYTHING ON THE TEST AND IAM NOT SURE THEY EVEN DID IT NOW , THEY HAVE BEEN VERY UPSET WITH ME BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN VERY DEMANDING BUT THIS IS MY BABY EVEN THOUGH SHES 18  PLEASE IF ANY INFO THANKS
Helpful - 0
Aly
According to my doctor, blood tests for H.Pylori only can see antibodies to the bacteria meaning there was an infection. The only way to be sure that treatment worked and the H.Pylori are erradicated is to do the breath test (I noticed the lab charge for that test was under $2 !AMAZING!)...its becoming more common now that the medical establishment has identified these bacteria as the cause of ulcers...in fact they inflame the stomach/intestine so all the problems that come up in these areas might be caused from having H. pylori!
Helpful - 0
Hi jenn, long time no talk!lol.for the last 2 and a half to 3 months i have been feeling good,stopped the h2 blocker and felt great,so I did a no no.had a few beers at a party,you now how it is when all your friends drink but you,although I was getting used to it.I agreed to have a couple and a few days later bum!started to feel lousy again.yeah I know,but I wont do it again!!!!:-(
Helpful - 0
Blood testing is "Not" an accurate way to determine if one is still infected. Breath testing, stool testing, or another endoscopy is really the only way. The breath test is great and simple. Here's a doctor's response to blood testing for H-Pylori on the webmd message board. I will post it for you below. How are you feeling these days?

-Jenn

Re: h.pylori
by Scott_Ketover_MD (WebMD), on 8/19/2002 9:59:24 PM NEW!

Heliobacter pylori may or may not be associated with symptoms. Therefore the symptoms you have may not be related to the infection. If your doctor wants to determine if the infection is gone then one of several tests can be used: an endoscopy with biopsy, stool antigen test, or breath test. Blood tests for H. pylori cannot be used to determine the success of treatment as the blood test is looking for the antibodies to the infection and these antibodies can remain in one's blood for several years after successful treatment of the infection.

Helpful - 0
i would really recommend taking something called probiotics along with your antibiotic treatment for h pylori.  what probiotics does is replace all the good intestinal flora that is being lost through your antibiotic.  it doesn't hinder the effectiveness of the antibiotic at all, and these can be either ordered through the mail or sometimes in health food stores.i have been on antibiotics two times for stomach/intestional infection, both times taking the probiotics, and i felt fine.  anyway, hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Abbey if you are on alot of anti biotics that can give you a sick stomach as that is the way i feel after taking them. I break out into cold clammy sweats..feel real unsteady on my feet and have this nausea feeling in my stomach and have to really force my food down because while swallowing i feeling like i am going to gag. Anti biotics are really hard on your GI system. I even feel that way weeks afer i finish taking them.
take care
Helpful - 0
The treatment for H Pylori is really tough on your stomach.  What it does is sluff the lining of your stomach.  It is going to take quite a while to get it feeling well again.  Try eating a bland and light diet, smaller meals.  I was treated three times for H Pylori and if you want to know for sure if you have it again, have the GI do a biposy. Did you take the pepto bismo with the antibotics?  Try some Maylox to coat your stomach before you eat.  Good Luck!
Helpful - 0
I had the breath test and found out I still have the infection after taking meds in April. I'm taking meds again only this time for 3 weeks and I don't mind saying.....IT'S MAKING ME SICK!!! I had trouble eating before but now when I do I get shakey, clammy, and my stomach really hurts. The shakiness may be another issue since I"ve have that one and off for 6 months. My gastro doctor doesn't think that pylori causes any symptoms and I may have had it since childhood. I NEVER felt like this until this year.
Helpful - 0
You should also ask if the H Pylori breath test in available where you are...it is not yet here in Canada. It is supposed to be highly accurate from what I have seen on the news, more so then the blood test.
take care
Helpful - 0
Unfortunately the infection can and often does recur. If you have doubts about the reliability of the blood test you may want to get scoped just to be sure, before going through another treatment for nothing.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem