Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

What's wrong?

I'm a female, age 51. Middle of June I started having a chest tightness. My md put me in hospital since I had an angioplasty and stent done when i was 45.  Stress echo came back fine.  Since then, it has changed from a tightness to more of a heaviness and/or burning from the upper part of my chest to the top of my abdomen concentrated in the middle.  The only time I don't notice it is when I am sleeping. It has not gone away in 2 months even for a day.  It does not get any worse with or without eating.  I also have a small cough that is non-productive and seems to be a spontaneous way to relieve pressure in the chest area.  For the last 6 years I have had a lot of mucous in my throat - don't know where it comes from, but I am constantly clearing my throat unless I take Zyrtec and Flonase.  We have always figured it was an allergic reaction to dog dander.  I had a gallbladder ultrasound done a couple weeks ago and it showed a small polyp in my gallbladder but my md doesn't think that is causing these problems.  I have been on prilosac and he just started me on nexium a week ago.  He is lost as to what it is so I have to go to a gi doctor but can't get in until middle of september.  I have never felt this bad for so long without finding a problem and I am really worried.  I can't believe heartburn could last 24/7 for 2 months.  Can anyone out there give me a clue or had the same symptoms?  Thanks a bunch,
mt
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanx Nanci for info. about the scope. At this point I don't really even care if it were awful, because I'm so tired of feeling cruddy. I see the Dr. 9/6 for consult, then the "scope". I just want to find out what is going on in my system. Oh, I also have the post nasal drip.  Wonder if that is connected to gerd.
Helpful - 0
For those who are worrying about having a scope - Don't!

It's a simple procedure, painless and you won't remember a thing.
I've had two in the past four years and I'm the biggest whimp when it comes to having anything medical done.  I worry for days, lose sleep, stop eating, all classic anxiety symptoms which by the way, make your real symptoms worse.

Having the scope will give the doctor a true understanding on what's going on.  I have gastritis but thought I had GERD.  Don't have GERD, nor do I have h-pylori.  Although the treatment protocol is similar for GERD and gastritis, some of it is different so it's important that you have a diagnosis.

Don't worry about the scope, it's really a piece of cake.  Make sure you have a responsible person with you to ask the doctor any questions and to hear his input.  You won't rememebr anything.
Helpful - 0
I am a 37 year old woman, who has a lot of the same symptoms. I got a horrible sore throat & had a barium swallow. There was a perforation in my esophagus. Dr. didn't seem overly concerned because I had choked on some food a few days earlier, may have torn it. Then I started getting horrible heartburn, & it felt like all my food was sticking in the lower part of my throat. Also, boating gas & burping. Dr. put me on Protonix. Kind of helped, then came back. Had blood tests all negative, no Pylori bacteria. Now my sore throat & "sticking food" is back. Getting referral to get the scope done. It is a scary thing, but it sounds like it's not as rare as I thought. This is so uncomfortable.
Helpful - 0
You wanted to know my symptoms.  It's starts with a burning pain under my breastbone with discomfort in my upper stomach, sort of like a heavy feeling.  Sometimes I have burning in my back but never in my throat.  I don't have reflux but I sometimes have a problem swallowing food meaning things like pasta feel like it's sticking in my throat, more of a sensation.  Worse time is in the AM when I wake - it's very sore and the burning is severe.

Durng the day, the discomfort is worse when I'm sitting which I do most of the day at work.  Once in a while, I feel nauseaus and have no appetite but make myself eat.  Initially, I lost something like 12 lbs which scared me a bit.  But, I've gained back a few and have an appetite.

I understand there are different types of gastritis, the most popular are acute and chronic.  I happen to have the chronic condition which may never be healed completely and only managed with lifestyle change.

I do drink a few ounces of aloe juice in the AM and PM and gave up all trigger foods like wine, coffee, tomatoes.  Best to eat smaller meals and nothing heavy or hard to digest.  Also, very important, eat at least 2-3 hrs before bedtime.  If I happen to go to bed earlier, I really suffer the next day.

I'm 56 and have been dealing with this for seven years but this time around, it's been the toughest.  I have an app't on 9-12 to get a better understanding on what I can do help heal this.  I was taking Nexium but it made me worse so I am now taking Protonix which is alittle better but not much.  I only taking it until I see the doctor and then will try to wean off and go the natural route.  I first want to undestand how much actual damage I do have.  Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
No, have not had a scope, but I am sure when i go to the gi doctor, that will happen.  is it uncomfortable?  i never even thought of gastritis.  are there any other symptoms?  i don't have any indigestion, pains in stomach, etc.  I don't feel any acid reflux coming up, but I have heard you don't have to feel it for it to be there.  i will research this.  thanks for any further info you have.  mt
Helpful - 0
Do you have burning in your chest/esophagus area or stomach?
Helpful - 0
Nanci
You have been a huge help.  Nobody I have talked to understands what this feels like day in and day out.  I sometimes have burning in my upper back (not often).  I have no trouble swallowing, but have noticed with just normal swallowing it feels like a tiny pebble is sliding all the way down my throat.  It's not painful and may just be because I am so aware of everything now. Now that you mention it, most days I sit at my desk, but a couple weeks ago, I was taking motorcycle safety classes and I was on my feet for two days.  It didn't seem to bother me as much. Hmmmm.  So glad I found this board.  You all are so helpful and thoughtful. Let me know what you find out after your appointment.  I go September 11th unless I can get in sooner.  Thanks,
mt
Helpful - 0
I go on 9-12 and he will get an ear full!  After my scope, he hastily told my daughter that it was gastritis, take Nexium and that was it.  No mention of a follow-up, nothing.  I was the one who called his office and insisted on coming in to talk to him.  I haven't had a two day stretch of feeling good yet!  

I find the worse offender is going to bed too soon after I eat.  And, coffee or alcohol (wine for me) is a no no.  You'll notice with time what works and what doesn't.

It's really a crummy thing to have and of course, I often wonder how anyone can have this long term and it not becoming serious like cancer.  And then of course, worrying that it may turn into cancer only makes the symptoms worse!  

Let us know how you make out and I'll post my findings as well.
Helpful - 0
If you have chronic gastritis you don`t have to have symptoms.I have symptoms...but not everybody does which is not good because it can just get worse.As far as the EGD.it doesn`t hurt,where I live your put to sleep,a light sleep,you feel nothing at all.Your throat may get sore and your stomach especially if it`s already sore.When I read about the scope on the computer I was like noway because on here it said they just give you sedating drugs and they spray your throat and you actually have to swallow the scope.Not mine I had to put a round thing in my mouth to protect my teeth,turn on my left side,then they said think about hawaii or something.then suprise I was awake!!Talk about a shock..LOL I almost forgot where I was.Of course your doc. may do it different you really need to find out what they use for sedation.Take care
Helpful - 0
No, have not had a scope, but I am sure when i go to the gi doctor, that will happen.  is it uncomfortable?  i never even thought of gastritis.  are there any other symptoms?  i don't have any indigestion, pains in stomach, etc.  I don't feel any acid reflux coming up, but I have heard you don't have to feel it for it to be there.  i will research this.  thanks for any further info you have.  mt
Helpful - 0
Oh yes it can!!  I have chronic gastritis which flared up in May and I have had constant burning and discomfort just about every day since then.  I too thought that it was not possible to have this much discomfort and it had to be something more but the scope biopsy showed chronic gastritis and no bacteria infection such as h-pylori.

It sounds like you may have gastritis.  Have you had a scope to rule this out.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem