Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

FUNDIPLICATION ON A 5 YEAR OLD

MY SON WHO IS 5 YEARS OLD IS SCHEDULED FOR A FUNDIPLICATION ON SEPTEMBER 4, 2002 AT CHILDRENS HOSPITAL IN PITTSBURGH BY DR. TIMOTHY KANE.  I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW SOME OF THE RISKS AND HOW LONG OF A RECOVERY AND IF YOU HAVE HEARD OF THE SUCCESS RATE BY DR. TIMOTHY KANE.  IF ANYBODY HAS HAD A CHILD AT THIS AGE WHO UNDERWENT THIS SURGERY AND IF THEY HAVE ANY INPUT.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello...in reply to your question, I don't remember ever being told it could be done laparoscopically but that was also 10 years ago and the 2nd one 5 years ago so I'm sure it's true if the Dr told you they can. That's great if it can be done that way....I wish my daughter's was if it was available. Her former GI DR wasm there last I heard...Dr. Nabil Jacir he could be gone now and I heard Dr. Lund is there also unless he left (obviously) but if you can get him for the surgery if he's there...he is EXCELLENT.My daughter used to get aspiration pneumonia but it was not realized until she had a trach done 5 years ago and she has never had it since. Before that however she was in the hospital every other week and I am not exaggerating either.If you wanted a 2nd opinion I have a PHENOMINAL GI Dr right now...Dr. Alex Flores at New England Medical Center in Boston ....he just knows everything there is regarding GI stuff.....just a little FYI because  you seem like you aren't sure if you are doing the right thing right now but if you would like a 2nd opinion here is the # 617-636-0135. I hope this will be of help. You can email me directly if you want because I  can tell you alot about that hospital...they saved my daughters life on many occasions when she was deathly ill. My email address is ***@**** you do email put GI Surgery in the re: because I delete junk mail without even opening it ok? Hope to be in touch with you. If you stick with your scheduled appt. please let me know how everything went and I'll be thinking of you and your son.  Bye Kellie
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for responding to my questions.  I wanted to let you know that my prayers are with you and your family. I was told by his doctor that they will do this fundo by laperoscopy and that they will not wrap it to tight so he will be able to burp and vomit if needed.  My husband and I were very concern that he would not be able to do this.  They told us his recovery would be from 3 to 5 days with 5 incisions in his stomache.  He currently takes Tegretol for epilepsy and Reglan, Tums, Zantac and Reglan.  They also told us that he is getting stridor to his airways.  His lungs will start to have damage if he does not have this surgery.  Have you ever heard of doing this surgery by laperoscopy?  If so, please let me know.  Thank you again for your help, it is so nice to hear from somebody that knows and feels the pain of your child.
Helpful - 0
My daughter had this surgery 2x 1st time at 3yrs and 2nd at 9 yrs old. She has multiple medical problems all stemming from contracting meningitis/encephalitis at 2 1/2 weeks old. The 1st fundo came unwrapped and the Dr who 1st did it wouldn't do it again but I went to a different Dr at Childrens Hospital in Boston Dr. Dennis Lund which ironically he left there 2 yrs ago. He did my daughters surgery and let me tell you...he is a good surgeon..her fundo is still intact. Vomiting is not possible with a fundo (whole reason for it as well as GERD) burping is possible if the stomach is not full. My daughter has a Mickey G button so if she needs to vomit or has gas  we plug her feeding tube into her button and put it into a rubber medical glove while we rub and pat her belly....so you need to decide if it is something you are willing to do. The recovery time isn't bad it's just hard the 1st 3 days because they cut from the right under the sternum all the way to right under the bellybutton. They actually wrap the stomach around the end of the esophagus so as the belly gets full it kind of pulls down by weight to block off anything going up into the throat.My daughter also has gastroparesis so she takes reglan and prilosec and she is doing great I have never had a problem except from the 1st surgery which made almost like a hiatal hernia but it was due to the wrap coming undone so if it is done well the 1st time it should last. It can be reversed also so it is not permanent if you were wondering.Any more questions please feel free to email me directly--***@****
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem