Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I am SO over it!!!

Okay.  In a nutshell.  I'm 36 Female.  Good health for the most part.  Mild mitral Valve Prolapse.  Diagnosed with GERD and Hiatal Hernia.  Here's problem....Immediately after I drift off to sleep something "overtakes" my body, almost like a gaseous, like carbon monoxide, feeling or more like what happens to your chest when you "almost get in a car accident"?  As soon as I clear my throat or sit up it goes away.  It can happen anywhere from once to 15 times before I eventually fall asleep.  Sometimes it's accompanied by a quick numbing or tingling in either a hand or foot.  Once in a while my stomach does a quick "bulge" or spasm of some sort.  Before I used to think it was my heart so it sent me into anxiety attacks and then I had the heavy chest feeling and more pain...But, all that heart stuff checks out (thanks to 3 days in emergency ward - ACK!) Okay, Gastro has tried me on SEVERAL meds (by the way, Don't EVER EVER do Reglan....causes Parkinsons)including Aciphex, Prilosec, Protonix, blah blah blah.  Nothing helps.  Tums will if I take 3 or 4.  Why does taking a 1/2 shot of whiskey also work?  You'd think that would irritate it more?  My Gastro thinks it's anxiety but IT IS SO NOT!!!  He also goes on to say when food/acid comes up it's hitting "a lot of nerves" which could cause the wierd numbing, etc.  What do you guys think???

6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello..I'm a 42-year-young woman who for the last 1-1/2 years has been battling GERD.  Apart from questionable diet, what could cause the symptoms of GERD (feeling in throat, bitter taste, bloatedness, belching)???  I've had the blood tests and the upper GI, all came back clean (except for slight anemia).  I've been thru Ranitidine and Protonix series.  Both worked fine while I took them, but when I stopped, symptoms returned (maybe just slightly subsided).  Can a person be on these meds forever?  Do they have weird side affects?  I've heard Zantac can cause hair loss.  What bothers me most is that "stuck" feeling in the back of my throat.  My PCP insists it's GERD symptom.  Can anyone offer any more info about the causes?--Thanks, Cindipher.
Helpful - 0
Thank you Dr. Stoll for your indepth reply.  I too believe that my doctors are shuffling me out the door.  Sometimes their arrogance is enough to send me into an anxiety attack!  Anyway, regarding the MVP, I've had it since I was 9 years old.  It's been confirmed in numerous cardio tests.  But I do know what you mean as far as "blaming" it on the MVP.  For 3 years I was misdiagnosed with "MVP problems" when all along I had a hiatal hernia and GERD.  Geez, 3 years to tell me I have food backing up?  Gimme a break.  Yes to another replier, I do get "hot" sometimes (no not that "hot"..I'm only 36!...course I guess I hope it's not that one.)  But yes, I'm really interested in this yeast/candida thing.  A pharmacist up in Minot, ND said he believed it was this and put me on Enzymes and a Probiotic.  It's only been a month, but I am getting some relief and I'm also seeing a chiropracter, lest it be my scoliosis (I'm obviously trying everything).  Anyone out there know where I can get some good information on the yeasty thing???  Also, thank you for replying, thank you for your concern.  Half of this **** is just knowing someone out there is actually listening ;)
Helpful - 0
Thank You, Dr. Stoll.

I am terribly stressed on looking for a new physician as my old one retired.  Not an easy task and am soooooo scard that I will choose a nit wit as I have encountered the 'revolving door doctor'.  "Git em in and Git em out"  (Texas Slang) (-:

Helpful - 0
I think your symptoms maybe two fold.

I also get that same rush as if being in a car accident. I  call it adrenaline (check spelling) however that's not what it is. But is like being scared. Sitting up does make it go away....even better yet walking around.

Doctors have had me on almost all the PPI meds at different levels and all the over the counter meds. Nothing seems to help. However....I do believe it is Acid Reflux...at times it goes into my arms and most of the time is present in my upper back and of course near my heart.

They have endosoped my throat and that was clear and upper MRI was clear and all blood tests are cleared for liver and pancreas problems. They have also ran all the tests on my heart as well. But, I am meeting with my 4th heart doctor this coming week.

They removed my gallbladder thinking that was it. But the problem came back after 2 months after removal. So I reckon it wasn't.

I think your problem is ANIEXTY AS WELL AS ACID REFLUX.  I guess that because  you really start to think about your problem as you go to sleep and that gives you aniexty because you don't know what it is AND at the same lying down creates Acid relux to come on.

Try sleeping on an Acid Reflux Pillow this may help a great deal. OR fix your bed so that it's head is higher.

***@****
Helpful - 0
Lor
Do you get a hot feeling with this?
Helpful - 0
PAJ
Sounds like candida ,Mitral Valve Prolapse  is a symptom of a yeast infections, take a look at this article , and search

Mitral Valve Prolapse & candida  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mitral Valve Prolapse--the Current FAD Diagnosis (a diagnosis of convenience for the physician)

There are many different conditions that can affect the mitral valve. The one described on this page is just the recent FAD diagnosis that has no specific disease process attached to it--certainly the vast majority of recent MVP diagnoses.

NO conventional clinician would EVER call any of the legitimate mitral valve lesions MVP. Examples of conditions that are not MVP: Rheumatic Valvular Insufficiency or Stenosis and Myxomatous Mitral Valvular insufficiency. If you have one of these conditions, this article is not about you!

The valvular condition described by this medical FAD (MVP) is a harmless "normal varient" of the structure of the heart. The physician uses it as a blanket "explanation" for a myriad of symptoms the allopathic paradigm has no way of explaining separately. The physician says: "NOW we know what was causing all those symptoms you have had so long so we don't have to think about them anymore. Here take this pill for your MVP and go live with it."

The Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP) diagnosis is a current fad in medicine that has no clinical significance. Just because we CAN diagnose something doesn't mean it is important to that person's health. Unfortunately, putting a name to someone's symptoms does nothing about identifying the causes for them. One could have their MVP surgically corrected to normal and NONE of their symptoms, ascribed to the MVP, would change at all. As a matter of fact, this was actually done in the early days of this "diagnosis" and the fact that it did not change symptoms at all powerfully pushed the profession to their present stand that this is a normal varient of anatomy and is truly a non-symptomatic condition.

Unfortunately, by the time the profession realized this, many physicians found how convenient it was to not have to face their multiply symptomed patient and admit that they had no idea what was causing their symptoms. Finally, they had some learned` thing to tell the patient and it felt so GOOD that it is now very hard for them to let go of their "pacifier" and, once again, admit to the patient that they have no idea what is causing all their symptoms. SO, until the public becomes educated, they will continue taking medications for an imaginary condition.

All of the symptoms currently ascribed to MVP are explained by the storage of chronic stress-effect in the hypothalamus. People with that problem (a seriously epidemic situation in this country today) almost all have Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS) and the secondary infestation of Candida-Related Syndrome (C-RS). This is why all the symptoms of MVP will disappear when the chronic stress overload is dealt with and why treating LGS and C-RS gets rid of the symptoms too: One has to deal with the chronic stress-effect storage to resolve either of those conditions. So far, the only thing known that will do that is the regular practice of effective Skilled Relaxation. See the homepage article about stress and the one about SR. See the glossary for any unfamiliar terms.

Unfortunately the current rush, by the harried physician, to just prescribe something (ANYTHING), just to get the patient out of the office, adds to the stress load the patient's physiology is already struggling to survive. Now, it has to cope with all that it was dealing with before plus the medication(s).

This is one more example of why current medical practice in this country is the 4th leading cause of death. Until the public is tired of what is going on and learns how to help themselves, this kind of travesty will continue. How many people do you know who are being "treated" for MVP?

Learning is painful for many people but likely not as painful as being treated for a non-existent condition and "learning to live with it". These missed diagnoses are caused by the Tolstoy Effect. so prevalent in this country today. Practitioners of the current conventional medical paradigm are suffering from believing in their own propaganda which they have laid on the public for the past 100 years: Allopathy is the only way to think! Most physicians really would like to help their patients. To do so, they are going to have to overcome the following:

"I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most obvious truth if it be such as would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions which they have delighted in explaining to colleagues, which they have proudly taught to others, and which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabric of their lives."
(Tolstoy)
OR, how about this one:

"It is impossible for anyone to begin to learn what he believes he already knows."
Epictetus (c.a.d. 55-c135)
Basically if I was diagnosed with MVP I would look at the underlying causes of the symptoms, which are now being blamed on the MVP, and do something about them. I wouldn't worry at all about the valvular varient itself.

Anyone who wants to understand how to approach all this and best judge the most valuable course for themselves, should read my book: "Saving Yourself from the Disease-Care Crisis". Although there is no specific chapter about MVP, the book is designed to help the reader understand the mechanisms behind such "incurable" conditions purely conventional MDs have not a clue about how to resolve.

A great 150 page book, to help people change their paradigm, is Health at the Crossroads by Dean Black, PhD. You can get a copy of this little book for about $10, including shipping and handling, by calling Valeen Burdal at 801-768-0560.

The above facts have been known by top researchers in the world for years. It seems to be only in this country that the medical practitioners are still desperately clinging to what serves them rather than what serves the patient.

Only a monopoly could get away with something like this.

Walt Stoll, MD

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem