Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

My wife has blood in her poop

My wife recently discovered alot of blood in her poop.
Not just a little either, a lot.
Enough that she initially thought she was starting her period (day before yesterday), and it wasnt until this morning when she came up to me with a look of horror, that she discovered that it wasnt coming out of that end.  It was coming out of the other end.  

The problem is in addition to that her job will not be starting insurance until october 1st.  

So my question is two fold:\
how serious is it?
If we see a doctor now, will the insurance in october deny any claims because it being a pre-existing condition.

Is there anything we can do to pay for whatever nominal treatment we need now (medicaid..medicare..etc) ive never been well versed on the options available for situations like this.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have been having this problem for two years now and it does not seem to want to go away..I had a test once they found and inflamation. I thought that would go away, and it return..
They might think its my hemorrohoid or polyp or could there be anything else wrong. When i go to the bathroom i would find blood in my rectum. Every now and then.. Now its more often, i put off the colonopsy. I guess scared. I go Sept 12 this thursday.  I cant put it off any longer. I just hope nothing is wrong. You think i should worry???
Helpful - 0
Hello, in all cases of bleeding from the intestines check it out.
As for paying for care, her insurance may not cover it right away as a pre-existing condition. It's possible she may have to wait up to around a year.
I myself am enduring the pain of incredibly high insurance premiums and have taken some time to research other options.
One option I have found I personally find very interesting. I have checked out a medical discount program called "Care Entree". Their wedsite is www.careentree.com .
This plan is inexpensive to average insurance premiums today and the cost of going without. This is a medical discount plan and so far every single one of my physicians is out there on their provider list. I would check it out if you are really desperate. It can help reduce the cost of care until insurance kicks in. You can always cancel later.
Personally what I have witnessed is that it seems that doctors these days would gladly take a reduction in charges through a plan like this instead of all the haggling with the insurance companies and their paperwork.
I hope this helps. Good luck! I hope your wife feels better soon.
Helpful - 0
Chances are it is something simple, but as I have said before in my posts above, the only way to know is to see your doctor.  Don't put it off, just make the phone call.  Good luck!
Helpful - 0
I'm having a similair problem right now as well.  Yesterday I started having a good bit of blood in my stool (enough to turn the water pinkish-red).  There was some visible blood in the water.  My question is what is considered a clot?  I don't know that it makes a difference, but on Saturday I took some Immodium AD for an upset stomach.  I hadn't had a loose bowel movement yet, but I thought one was coming.  My bowel movement today (with blood again) was very hard.  I'm not sure if that is relevant or significant, so I thought I'd add it.  Any help would be very much appriciated.
Helpful - 0
I have to agree with eveningstar. I am a medical professional who has experienced situations like this on a personal level! Please do not worry yourself to no end about blood in the stool. BUT...you need to seek medical attention soon. DO NOT put this off like a few people in here are saying. There are certain criteria that can be met so you can reach payment arrangements with the hospital if your insurance isn't effective yet. But don't put a price tag on your health. Please, seek professional advice so tests can be run and you can be diagnosed properly. If it turns out to be hemmorhoids, than so be it. But if it turns out to be something more serious, how awful it would be if you put things off because someone on the internet said "...you should be fine." You and your wife take care and good luck...and get some help soon.
                                                J.C.I.
Helpful - 0
It is very frustrating and appalling to me that people are posting here saying that rectal bleeding is ok and not to worry about it.  I realize the bottom line is that people need to see their doctor and not take the messages here too seriously.  But it worries me that a lot of people who don't know better will read that it is no big deal to have rectal bleeding.  That is simply not true.  There are some simple and not serious conditions that can cause this bleeding.  But it CAN be a sign of colon cancer, and the ONLY way to really know is to have a colonoscopy.  I am a colon cancer survivor, and believe me, this is nothing to mess around with.  I did not ever have bleeding, but it is a medical fact that it CAN be a sign of colorectal cancer.  PLEASE do not assume anything - get checked out.
Helpful - 0
Lor
Hemorroids and anal tears will give you that bright red blood. It is true as virgo57 stated - bright red blood would be closer to anal opening. There are a lot of blood vessels in that area. That is why she sees so much blood. Unless she is bleeding constantly (having to wear a pad with it)She should be ok. If the bleeding is only happening when she uses the restroom and not passing clots. She probably is fine. As to the insurance - I've been through this. If your insurance doesn't start until Oct 1st - anything she has seen a Dr for during the year prior is concidered pre-existing and will not be covered. If she isn't passing passing clots and isn't bleeding constantly.  She should be ok to hold off until that insurance kicks in, and probably will stop on its own anyway. Use something to soften the stool in the mean time.
Helpful - 0
It is very frustrating and appalling to me that people are posting here saying that rectal bleeding is no big deal and nothing to worry about.  The amount of bleeding has nothing to do with the seriousness of it.  There are some simple and not serious things that can cause rectal bleeding.  However, it CAN be a sign of colorectal cancer and the only way to really know is to have a colonoscopy.  I am a colon cancer survivor and I know more about it all than I ever wanted to know.  This is nothing to mess around with.  It is NOT ok to have rectal bleeding.  Get checked.
Helpful - 0
sorry for the repeat, I did not see my post at first.
Helpful - 0
Blood in bowel movements is not normal and needs to be evaluated by a doctor.  Never, ever assume bleeding is from hemorrhoids.  A colonoscopy should be done to rule out anything serious.  It could save your life.
Helpful - 0
Every now and again I have bright red blood in my stools but mine is from internal and external hemorrhoids and it only happens when they flare up on me. I see my doctor and get the prescribed ointments and suppositories.
I have no idea about what your insurance coverage as I am from Canada and over here we get an OHIP card from our government which they pay for, so all of our doctor visits and tests are covered by the government. Your wife should get it checked out especially if she is experiencing light headedness or feeling weak.
My doctor tells me that the redness and brightness of the blood means that the bleeding  is closer to your anus opening. Blood that comes from futher up would dry into the stool and make it black and tarry and if that is the case, get to your doctor right away. Does your wife have hemorrhoid pain? Does she strain when she passes her stools? If so..she needs to incorporate more fiber into her diet.Which will make her stools softer and come out more smoothly and not cause hemmorrhoid bleeding.
In any event go to the doctor..she might need some ointment or suppositories....and it will also give you the peace of mind.
take care...i wish the both of you well
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem