Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

abdominal pain

I am a 22 yr. old female. I have chronic upper & lower quadrant abdominal pain. I had a pelvic sonogram that came back fine. My blood tests came back normal. I had severe pain after eating a salad w/ vinegrette dressing. I went to the ER. The doctor said I had acid reflux. He put me on Protonix & a bland diet. It did not help. He referred me to GI doctor to make sure I did not have an ulcer. The GI said he didn't think anything was wrong with me & I should stop taking the Protonix & go back to my regular eating habits but he sent me for a CT Scan anyway. I am still waiting for the results but can anyone give me any insight on my problem if the CT comes back normal? This has been going on for about 4 months. The pain goes from my shoulder to my groin. The pain feels like cramping but I get very sharp pains that last for 10 minute intervals. I have been to 4 different doctors w/ no explantion or an incorrect explanation. I have no past history of any type of significant illness. I have also gained 20 lbs. (unusual for me) in 2 weeks & I am not pregnant.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have had frequent bloating and pain for about 3 years now. Usually it comes about with gassy foods, which I thought I had narrowed down. I visited my doctor about a year ago, who of course told be to avoid the foods that bother my stomach. Now though, I have had this bloating and pain for a week straight,everday! I haven't changed my diet or anything else in my life. It feels like constant gas that is bubbling in my stomach, but never passes. It is sooooo painful and I can't even do my pants up!! I am seeing a doctor in three days but am wondering if anyone knows what my problem may be. I've been thinking IBS, because my mother has recently been diagnosed with it, but I do not have constipation or diarrhea. I've been taking Ovol constantly and nothing is helping. I can hardly sleep at night! Can anyone offer a word of advice?
Thanks so much!
Helpful - 0
well i am definitely no expert in this area. if you have been on depo that long without the weight gain...(i gained 15 lbs in a month)!!! :) anyway-i am kind of in the same boat as you. no answers, lots of pain. i guess i am responding to say hang in there. hopefully answers will come soon. i can say this though-do NOT give up on these doctors. bug them to death. frequent their offices. call them. ask who you should see next. im making my doctors crazy but i dont care. i think its insane that we are suffering for this long and no one can figure out what is wrong with us. im really concerned about you gaining weight that quickly with no meds!!! i would see (yet) another doctor ASAP.
Helpful - 0
I drank 3 beers, which I know I can handle, & vomited 5 or 6 times. I thought it was from the meds. I've been on the Depo shot for 3 years with no problems. no other meds.
Helpful - 0
im so sorry you are in pain. i recently had a ct scan and they found a small cyst on my left ovary. i have pain every day on both sides of my abdomen. it sucks. the weight gain is unusual. i take it you havent had any vomiting or nausea? are you on birth control? have you recently taken any new meds other than what you mentioned?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem