Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Can't Swallow Solid Food?!?!?

Hi,
I have had stomach upset and pain for the last 7 yrs due to my many illnesses. In May of this yr I awoke to massive stomach pain, heartburn an nausea that sent me to an ER. A CT scan was done nothing showed. I then moved to SC and after about 2 weeks here it advanced to not being able to swallow solid food. I feel like it's stuck and I"m choking on it. I don't throw up it just feels like my esophagus or gag reflex starts to spasms and I can't swallow. I feel the food in my chest and bottom of my throat. I saw a GI July he did a barrium swallow and says everything looks fine. I am in pain all day every day, heartburn, nausea, massive sinus migranes and this damn swallowing problem. Since July I've been living on Ensure, eggs and some tunafish. ANYONE else have this? my GI doesn't want to do a scope as he says he doesn't think it will be beneficial to me. I swear I have gastritis. I have also been told excessive use of antacids can cause this? Antacids weaken the LES muscle? I was taking Mylanta daily 3 times per day for like 8 yrs. Can anyone shed any light? I"m really sick from this plus my other illnesses and I don't know what else to do. I"m hungry and I can't afford to loose anymore weight. As it is I"m only 93 pds. Thanks in advance so much
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, 3 years suffering from zenkers diverticulum was started.
Helpful - 0
I had a similar problem once (trouble swallowing at times but accompanied by chest pain) and my internal medicine doctor did a scope and said I had a stricture caused from reflux, and a small sore.  They put a hose down my throat to force it open and it felt a lot better afterwards.

I agree with the last comment, just go somewhere else.  I don't understand these doctors that don't do the tests that you want, it's ridiculous.
Helpful - 0
A number of things weaken the LES, including caffiene, alcohol, chocolate, and peppermint. I haven't heard of antacids weakening it.

I wonder why your GI doesn't want to do a scope? You may want to consult with another GI for a second opinion. Back in 1991, after several years of serious, undiagnosed illness, I insisted on a scope, over my family doctor's objections, and the scope immediately revealed a bleeding, raw esophagus, with "long" Barrett's. I was misdiagnosed for several years, so don't rely on only one doctor's opinion if you are not getting relief and are not comfortable with her/his refusal to recommend a test that you think may at least rule OUT issues, if not find out what is actually wrong. Had I been scoped two years earlier, I may not have gone on to develop esophageal cancer and require a complet esophagectomy in 2001. You need to be your best personal advocate and push for additional tests if your situation isn't improving.

Best of luck.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem