A
A
A
Close

Question on Colonoscopy

ION
Hi,

I've some question about colonoscopy:

Does anyone has had a Colonoscopy before??

Is it a safe procedure to be perform ??

Is is expensive??

How complex is it compare to a gastroscopy, which one is more complex (since I have one before, so I have some idea on how a gastroscopy is).??

Does anyone has experience any complication during this procedure ??

Please share your experience with me. I've had abdominal pain for over 2 months and now wondering whether I should request for a colonoscopy or not ??
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Read the comments above on the colonoscopy issue.
As for the cost....I just had one last March, and the total for the hospital was $1200.  This is for all the meds, use of the procedure room (maybe the o.r.), recovery care.  My doctor's fee to do it was $800.  Insurance "wrote off" $200. of that.  The anesthesia was another separate bill and was $360.  My pathology bill was another $200.  
Good luck with everything!
Helpful - 0
I have done one colonoscopy. I am 43. I did fine. I did the gallon thingy, moved everything to the bathroom  including a book to read and drank the whole gallon. I was a champ ! next day went there, didn't have a chance to even see the doc. I was asleep the whole time. Never got any disconfort. good luck and let us know how you did it.
Helpful - 0
I just had a colonoscopy on 9/17/02. The worst part was the prep. That being fasting and taking the medicine to clean you out.I was out during the whole procedure.I don't remember anything about it.
I am looking at my insurance statement and just the hospital services were $2519.00 of which my insurance allowed $1778.27. I have yet to receive the insurance statement for the doctor or pathologist. I had some biopsys and 3 polyps removed.

Runnner
Helpful - 0
Is it a safe procedure to be perform ??

It's very safe if you have an experienced, reputable GI doc performing it at a well-known, reputable facility.

Is is expensive??

Roughly $800-$1000 (?)

How complex is it compare to a gastroscopy, which one is more complex (since I have one before, so I have some idea on how a gastroscopy is).??

About the same but there's no gagging issue, so perhaps a little simpler.

Does anyone has experience any complication during this procedure ??

Perforation or infection would be the main potential risks, and again - there would be very small chance of either with an experienced doctor at a reputable facility.

Please share your experience with me. I've had abdominal pain for over 2 months and now wondering whether I should request for a colonoscopy or not ??

Depending on how old you are and where exactly your pain is, your doctor may have other ideas as to how to proceed with you. On the other hand if you're into your mid-40's or so, that may be a good idea in general.

Helpful - 0
Colonoscopy is the same thing just opposite end.  The worst part about it was the taste of the laxative.  It has the same procedure as an endoscopy, they give you an IV and knock you out.  I don't even remember talking to the doctor afterwards.  There was no pain or after-effects either.  As for cost, it'll be whatever your insurance charges for outpatient.  It takes about an hour.  I think it's overrated for how horrible it's supposed to be.  If there's a chance it'll catch something, I'd go for it.  GOod Luck!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem