Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

all around nausea with eating during/after

For about 4 years now I have had this problem; In general, I get nauseated while eating or have a very difficult problem in eating anything at all. Also nauseated if empty stomach, dry heaving yellow bile. Most of the time, it is often worse when my stomach is empty or I am hungry. In that case I often can only get a few bites down (which seem to almost get "trapped" at the bottom of my esophogus) and then I vomit newly chewed up food, not even digested. The first bites might be good, but not only do they travel down to the stomach VERY slow, but everything even begins to TASTE awful and almost with too much flavor (if that makes any sense at all). The days when I do feel up to the challenge to eat, it takes me so long to eat a meal (often taking breaks to avoid over clogging) and I have to go into a mental zone to withstand bringing on the initial convulsion of vomiting or else I will. The strange thing is after I have had food in my stomach for about 1hr, I can eat in a better manner and I am not so prone to nausea. Though even after I feel I can "fill up" if I push it too much then I vomit the material, sometimes all of the meals I had for the day still not fully digested. This is very frustrating! Have you ever heard anything like this at all? Where could I read about it or compare my symptoms? I have been to a gastro doctor and taken a barium swallow and the esophogus wasn't blocked or having problems. I have also tried taking prescription acid blockers but only for about 2-3 weeks before I was discouraged again because of no relief. Is there anything that can be done
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
thank you very much for your reply I couldn't seem to get an answer from the doctors about why I should go off motilium except that it changes the motility of my colon, but if I have slow gastric empting and irritable bowel my colon is already affected. I am still taking the motilium and am due for another scope to check gastritis on 22 Nov. Thanks again

Helpful - 0
I don't know of any good reason to discontinue the motilium unless it is causing some other problem that is worse, which is hard to imagine. By the way, I order mine from New Zealand, from a toll free number 1-877-271-6591. You do not need a script and it is very inexpensive, and is the original manufacturer. Safe and legal. They are about 20 hours ahead of us. I would seriously question any doctor that told you to discontinue something that helps so much. It is truly a lifesaver for many people, probably myself included. It takes awhile to build up in your system and achieve maximum potency. I take 30 mg. four times a day. I see one of the top motility experts in the country, so I know what I am telling you is based on good medicine, as well as personal experience. I belong to a gastroparesis support group, and it has been a wonderful source of information and support. Do you have gastroparesis? Sounds like you must. I would be glad to answer any questions you have, if that helps.
Helpful - 0
hi everyone I was just wondering about staying on motilium for a long time I have been on it for about three months and was told to come off it but when I did I started to lose a lot of weight and became very nauseous. I started taking it again and feel a bit better but still nauseous does excess acid cause nausea I am also taking carafe for severe gastritis.  Please give me some advice I am in a living hell.
Helpful - 0
Most GI docs don't consider this as a likely diagnosis, but I believe it is much more common that is commonly thought. There is a medication called domperidone, which is not sold in the US, but is made by a reputable pharmaceutical company and sold elsewhere in the world. The reasons that is has not yet gained FDA approval in the US is more polictical and expense oriented than anything else. A lot of money for the drug company to spend to get approval for a drug they don't believe would be widely used, thus little profit. It is a very safe drug, and has been around for about 40 years; very few side effects. It stimulates stomach motility. It can be ordered from pharmacies in Canada with a doctors script, or from a pharmacy I know of in New Zealand without a script. Your doctor should be familiar with it, the brand name is Motilium. It is what helped me start eating again after becoming very ill.
Even if they are having trouble coming up with a diagnosis, there is no reason not to treat the symptoms in order to make you more comfortable. I went for years with guesswork and misdiagnosis. But I would absolutely ask for the emptying test. That will give the answer; I had endoscopy, upper gi, ct scan, ultrasound, bloodwork, you name it. None of those tests will correctly diagnose a stomach motility disorder.
Like I said, surf the net and you will find more info, and if the light bulb goes off in your head, it needs more research. Symptoms vary, not everybody has the same group of symptoms. Good luck.
Helpful - 0
Wow! For once I have been given a different possibility to this! Thank you 4gpac. Finally I am not written off as just another reflux victim. I will definitely look into this.
Helpful - 0
Ask your doctor to do a gastric emptying test. You may have a stomach motility disorder, in which your food does not digest in a normal fashion. It is a very straightforward test. You are given food with a small amount of radioactive isotope (no, you can't taste it and it does not make you ill), then lay on a table while a camera takes pictures of food as it travels through your digestive system. Your stomach should empty by 50% in the first 90 minutes after eating. Anything more means you have a stomach motility disorder, sometimes known as gastroparesis. This is often misdiagnosed and attributed to other problems. There may be motility problems with other areas of the digestive tract as well. The vomiting of undigested food can be a symptom. If you enter the word gastroparesis in a word search, it will give you more information, and you can decide if this sounds like something you might have; symptoms can be intermittent, and range from mild to severe.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem