Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

SPIKE 1951

I just wanted to post and let both of you know what's going on - chronic pancreatitis????

I had an appointment with my Gastroenterologist today and guess what - he refered me to Shands in Gainesville.  I didn't even mention it!!!!!!!!!!!!  Talk about shocked.  I expected the pat on the head and the line "learn to live with it".

The doctor is leaning towards SOD and not pancreatitis, but I figure once I'm there there take a good look.  He told me that Shands is the place to be when it comes to Florida for any type of problem like this.  He admitted that he is at a loss as far as what is wrong because all the tests I've had done have been "normal".

He said it may take a month to get in but I know my chances are better with a referal from him than just proceeding on my own.

I just wanted to thank you again for sharing all your information.  It certainly made me more educated!  The doctor actually asked me if I had already discussed these issues with "someone" (meaning another doctor).  I told him that I had been doing research on the internet and talking to people on a message board and that is where my info came from.  I was surprised when he was supportive and asked if I had read anything I wanted him to try to explain further!

AGAIN - THANKS!!!!!!!

5FAN
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I would love it if you could send me what you have on SOD.  The doctor really seems to be leaning this way (maybe even in combination with IBS).  

He was rather blown away by what I knew when he was telling me about SOD and most of it was from reading here on this site and then what extra bit of searching I did myself.  Most doctors seem to be offended when you tell them you've done some research on your own, but he was really supportive.  Made me feel good.

My e-mail again is ***@****

AGAIN - I can't thank you enough!!!!!

5Fan
Helpful - 0
I was wondering if you could email me the info you have on SOD? My husbnad goes to the Mayo clinic in Ariozna, on the 4th and that is what they are going to do tests for, so I would love to read up on it. Thanks in advance...........Tanya my email address is ***@****
Helpful - 0
Thanks for getting back with the news.  Not that having either of these problems is good news, but at least you are making progress with getting a diagnosis so you can get the appropriate treatment.  I have lots of research material on chronic pancreatitis, as well as SOD.  If you would like me to send it to you, please email me.  There's too much and it's too long for me to post on this website.  Sometimes it's better to know as much as you can about what's going on when you go in for an appointment.

SHANDS is supposed to be the best in Florida....I hope you get some firm diagnosis.  Good luck!

Nanny
***@****
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem