Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Soreness in upper left rib cage

JLw
I've had a generally sore upper left rib cage for some time.  At certain times the pain and discomfort radiates through to my back.  I've had general ultra sound and (1) have three or four small gallstones (2) fatty liver was mentioned (i'm about 30 pounds overweight) and (3) was asked if I had ever had surgery on my right kidney or (4) ever had kidney stones.  Do any of these things correlate to the soreness and pain I'm experiencing?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, ledt upper quadrant pain with acid reflex was started.
Helpful - 0
An endoscopy "may" be helpful. It seems to me that the focus here, however should be finding the source of your pain, which it appears we have done. The doctor wants to do an endoscope to see if there is evidence of peptic ulcer disease and/or acid reflux. These conditions could also contribute to the symptoms you are experiencing. If you haven't had a blood test to check your liver function and pancreas (pancreas is checked by looking at "lipase" and "amylase" in the blood test), this needs to be done as well.
Helpful - 0
JLw
Thanks very much for your observations.  I hardly ever drink alcohol so maybe the pancreas is being affected by the gallstones.  I'm scheduled for and endoscope procedure on Dec 3rd, would you think that would be advisable in your opinion?
Helpful - 0
It is possible that the symptoms you are experiencing could be related to the gallstones. While gallbladder pain is typically in the upper right quadrant of the abdomen (i.e. under the RIGHT lower ribs), I have seen cases where the pain was more on the left side. Also, when I hear of pain "radiating through to the back" this makes me think of gallbladder and/or pancreas inflammation. The pancreas can become inflamed due to alcohol consumption and/or gallstones.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem