Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

quite confused...any advice?

hi,
i'm 28, male, generally healthy and active. in August, about a week prior to my 28th birthday, I began experiencing some odd pain/soreness in my lower back, extending to my hips on both sides. This was accompanied by a dull pain in my lower left abdomen beneath my ribcage, and REALLY noticeable fatigue.
My doctor ordered a spiral CT w/contrast and blood tests showing pancreatic function. Both the CT and tests came back normal. A kidney ultrasound came back fine as well. After about 14 days, the lower back pain eased off, and hasn't really recurred since.
However, I now have frequent dull pain all over my abdomen, beneath the sternum, in my right and left sides, and occasionally in my back. This is frequently accompanied by gas pains. No diarrhea, no weight loss, no nausea or vomitting. Just this lasting dull abdominal/flank/back aching all over.
I'm scheduled to see a Gastro doc in a couple of weeks. Just wondered if you guys had any similar experiences, and if you think I should stop pursuing the pancreas due to the clean CT?
I'm quite freaked out by the possibility of pancreatic cancer, which is really the only thing I've come across online which encompasses the abdominal/back pain I've felt.
Any advice or input would be much appreciated. Thanks! - Rick

2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Pancreatic cancer usually occurs in people much older than you. Also you would most likely have some significant weight loss, jaundice, and a host of other problems. So with a clean CT scan and everything else you describe, I'd say you're pretty safe to assume it's not PC. But the combined locations of your pain is a little puzzling. Since the initial lower back pain went away, maybe that was a separate issue -? ... a muscle strain perhaps? As far as your abdomen, you may have some gastritis or bloating from IBS. If you can hold on til you get in to see your doctor, I'm sure he'll help you get to the bottom of this and get you on the road to feeling better.
Helpful - 0
i had a friend who, a couple of years ago, experienced the same symptoms...and after seeing a gastro doc, he told her that she had pancreatitis.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem