Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Gastric Bypass Surgery Ramifications?

My daughter's doctor recommened Gastric Bypass to her as she is diabetic and 50 lbs overweight and after 4 years of diets, meds. etc. she would lose 10 lbs and regain it right back.  Her doc is recommeneding this because she is a type 2 diabetic and he has seen diabetes reversed in overweight individuals and does not want to see her have the compliactions of diabetes down the road with her being so overweight.

Her doctor also mentioned a group of surgeons at a particular medical center in Texas who does this Laproscopically and not the full blown Laporotomy, where they open the stomach up.

I am a skeptic.  I know what I have been through (side effects)with gallbladder surgery and a vagotomy at the same time by an over zealous surgeon who subsequently had to leave the state.

I cannot bear to see her suffer on going side effects from this procedure.

Has anyone had this surgery via Laproscopic (tiny little incisions) and not suffered the pangs of dumping syndrome, vomiting, severe heartburn, anemia, etc. etc.

I know that Al Roker paints a beautiful picture of this surgery but is it all that Rosey?

Need help and information here from other patients.

Thanks....

A Concerend Mom.

3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I thank you both for this information.  I just wish there was an easier way for her to drop some weight as her doctor said...Lose the weight and the diabetes will disappear.

We are all in the "holding" stages right now.  I really do not think her GP is fully aware of this operation. It is up to the patient and loved ones to not leave any stone unturned by getting all the facts.   Doctors do not tell everything to the patient. I found this out the hard way with myself many years ago.

Happy Holidays To You.
Helpful - 0
Hello there.
Your daughter's doctor is suggesting very radical surgery. Not to say that it isn't warrented, but 50 pounds overweight is the absolute MINIMUM point that this surgery is even considered.
The laparoscopic technique is a great improvement though, over the former, more invasive surgery.
My wife had the surgery six years ago, via the more traumatic approach, and it was unsuccessful. She has lost less than 100 pounds over the six years. Her sister, on the other hand, lost 135 pounds within the 1st full year after having the laparoscopic bypass.
Keep in mind when helping your daughter with her decision, that ALL surgery has a related risk.....that's why our bodies are closed when we get them, but the results most often have a positive effect on ones health and well being.
I wish you and your daughter well.
Helpful - 0
I'm not a medical professional but I have never heard of this procedure being done to someone who was only 50 pounds overweight.  Normally this drastic procedure is done to very obese people.  Not to scare you but there is a lady in the town where I live who had this done and she ended up in a comma for several months.  One of the staples came loose and cut her insides all up.  If I were your daughter, I don't think I would have this operation done. Best of luck to you and your daughter.  I hope you get the answers you want.  Have a GREAT day!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem