Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

If you are a doctor or technican,please explain this to me in layman's language:

I do not have a pcp, I am app 60 yrs old., I went to an ER a couple of weeks ago and they did a ct scan with iv cintrast and this is the results.
" THE LIVER IS NORMAL IN SIZE. THERE IS A 5 MM AREA OF HYPODENSITY IN THE RIGHT LOBE OF THE LIVER WHICH IS TOO SMALL TO CHARACTERIZE BUT MOST LIKELY REPRESENTS A CYST. THE PANCREAS IS NORMAL. THE ADRENAL GLANDS ARE NORMAL.  THE GALLBLADDER IS PRESENT AND IS NORMAL. THE KIDNEYS ARE NORMAL. THERE IS NO SIGNIFICANT RETROPERITONEAL ADENOPATHY AND NO MESENTERIC ADEONPATHY IS FOUND. THERE IS NO FREE OR LOCULATED FLUID. THE BOWEL HAS A NORMAL APPEARENCE".

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF A PELVIC MASS AND NO PELVIC FLUID. THE BLADDER IS NORMAL. THE PROSTATE GLAND IS NOT ENLARGED.

Please translate this into plain layman's terma for me.
Thanks.
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Go to a library and look the words up in a medical dictionary. Or just call the library and talk to the reference librarian and ask her to look it up.  they will be glad to do it for you.  It doesn't cost a thing.  
   Or you could go to a bookstore such as Waldenbooks or Books-A-Million and look the words up in a medical book.  
   Also there is something on the intenet called the Internet Public Library.  It is monitored by students in library school and they get practice looking things up for people.

Helpful - 0
Two things you can do, to help you translate into plain English, are:

1) Buy a medical dictionary, so you can look these words up.

2) Call up the ER you went to, and ask them to translate every confusing word, for you. They owe this to you!

Good luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Thanks, I kinda understand that there could possibly be a cyst or not, but what I don't understand is the medical renderings and terms used, such as,

"HYPODENSITY", "RETROPERITIONEAL ADENOPATHY",  "MESENTERIC ADENOPATHY", AND "LOCULATED".

I cannot find layman terms for the above.
Thanks,
Helpful - 0
You have what appears to be a cyst in your liver, and everything else looks normal.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem