Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Update on 8 years of pain; Maybe Crohns or Colitis???

The whole distended abdomen sounds very familiar. My husband has had that for about 8 years now. He is 29 years old, does not smoke and is otherwise healthy. His stomach is extremely hard and large, as if he were 7 months pregnant. He has also had frequent stools (3-5 times per day) that are very urgent after eating. Sometimes he can't wait until he has finished eating. We have looked into the whole early dumping syndrome, but I think that there is more to it than that. He also has a SEVERE gas problem. Both ends are constantly doing something!!!He has had the abdomen pain in the lower left pelvic area that also moves toward his lower mid back. Tests??? Well we have been to many doctors that had done CT scans, gall bladder functioning tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, X-rays, bloodwork (several times) and I am now looking into having an ERCP done. His last bloodwork showed his liver enzymes to be quite high and the doctor ordered more tests to rule out Hepatitis. These tests came back clear and now with no confirmation of anything wrong, it is like they have simply diagnosed it as a mental problem! Out of all the tests the only thing that showed up was a hiatal hernia, which was blamed for the chronic heartburn.

UPDATE:::
Now we have been admitted into the hospital for what the doctors now think is Crohns or ulcerative colitis because of the SEVERE pain, vomiting and horrendously foul burps!!! I think that the DR may simply be too busy to investigate our problem. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Or is there anyone that is very familiar with these conditions?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
As of now the DR says to just drink 8oz. of Pepto Bismol. I may not be in the medical field but I don't think that Pepto Bismol is the miracle cure all! I have talked with my sister in law who happens to be an RN and she has advised me to request all of his records, start my own chart and be off on a journey from DR to DR until we find out what is going on. Every symptom he has sounds like ulcerative colitis and I hear it is genetic, so this would explain his dad havng the same problems for about 10 years before he died. I also know that it causes Hepatitis, corrohsis (?) , and jondice. These just happen to be the diseases his dad died from but was considered alcohol related because he occasionally drank. I have heard that the Center For Digestive Diseases here in Oklahoma is an excellent place to go. My insurance is AWESOME so money isn't an issue. Any other suggestions or loctions somewhat nearby????
Helpful - 0
I had those horrible smelling burps and I was diagnosed with gastroenteritis (sp?).  The smelly stuff was coming out of both ends.  I went to the emergency room when I lived in Florida and they gave me this stuff to drink that looked like lime green milk and it went away real fast.
Helpful - 0
PJR
Hello, I have been having the same problems for about 2 years now and have seen many different doctors and have had many tests done.  Still they have found nothing.  Liver enzymes were high at one time, but are now normal.  The doctors tried to say i was depressed and gave me Elavil which didnt help me at all.  They ruled out ulcerative colitis a long time ago.  By any chance did your husband ever take any acne medicines at all?  I was thinking if that could have started my problems?  I also have a cousin in Southern California that has the same symptoms and they have not found anything on him yet either.  Please keep me posted and i will do the same.  Thanks, PJR
email me if you get any new info  ***@****
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the wonderful world of the digestive system..yeah..the whole doctor thing is VERY familiar..you just gotta keep looking until you find someone that will help you..keep researching..it is very exhausting, mentally and physically....AND your are still in distress!!!

Sorry..no answers for you..but I understand the frustration..
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem