Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

I have medical now! And I need to know what this test is

I finally have medical! Yay! And my roomie and a bunch of friends ganged up on me and forced me to go to the doctor's. So, I went, and I got a referal for another test. I'm not sure what it means, if it's a Barium Swallow test (had one of those a couple years ago) or an endoscopy (had one in January) or a new test I haven't heard of. It's called an "S and D and follow thru" whatever that means. The back of the form says

"ESOPHAGUS STOMACH AND DUODENUM and/or SMALL BOWEL"

Seriously, that's all it says, other than not to eat anything from midnight the night before before the test. Anyone know what this is? I really don't think it's a scope test, but I don't know what it would be other than a Barium Swallow test. I haven't made the appointment yet, but when I do, I'll make sure to ask exactly what it is. But if someone could give me a heads-up first, tha'd be great.

Thanx.
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey, thanks a lot, KJK!

Sounds like the second one you listed, cuz it says "small bowel follow through" which was what I didn't understand. I've had both a Barrium Swallow and and endoscopy before.

Thanx again!

Marygold

PS. I'll keep you guys posted on how it turns out on the 20th.
Helpful - 0
These are the typical Gastrointestinal tests:
Barium Swallow/upper gi series:  Drink barium and assess motility, anatomical abnormalities/reflux/hiatal hernias.

Upper GI with small bowel follow thru:  Same thing as the above but you stay around longer so that images of the small intestine can be obtained to check the duodenum/ileum/jejunum.  This is not a scope.

Endoscope:  You're sedated for this, a fiberoptic scope inserted into the stomach and possibly small intestine and biopsies can be taken.
hope that helps
KJK

Helpful - 0
Marygold....may I suggest..buying sweatpants??? They would allow the expansion you need when you get bloated. You really  need to eat!!
Helpful - 0
Sounds like you had an endoscopy, which I've had Jan 2002. They're also testing to see how long it takes for my stomach to empty into my duodenum, which can't be measured by a scope test. I admit, it does sound like it's a scope test, but I ruled that one out. It's either a Barium Swallow test (had that one before too, and hate drinking that chalky stuff) or something I've never heard of before. My appointment is scheduled for Dec 20th. I hope I'll be fine to walk home afterwards, not too tired or sore or anything, cuz all 3 of my roomies are going to be gone during the holidays, and I'm alone here. I suppose I'll figure it out on the 20th, then.

Thanx for your help!
Helpful - 0
"ESOPHAGUS STOMACH AND DUODENUM and/or SMALL BOWEL"

The Esophagus, stomach, and duodenum test is done by placing a scope through the mouth/throat.  Don't worry, you are sedated for that.  The only thing I remember about the test is the scope being removed (in less than a second it seemed). Otherwise, I had a good nap during the procedure.

Helpful - 0
I think I had the test you are referring to; it was called a small bowel follow through or something like that. I went in the morning after fasting, and they gave me that luscious barium to drink; it really wasn't bad, it was thin and had a sweet flavor to it. I had to drink a number of cups of it over a period of time, then get on a table and they took pictures (xrays) as the fluid went through. I went to U of M Hospital for it, and the guy was really nice, at the end of the test when he was satisfied that the barium was all through the intestines to show everything, I think he did an ultrasound and took pictures, and he explained everything he saw. It was nice to have the results right away, and have it explained. However, it does leave you constipated because of the barium, so you need to drink lots of water afterwards, and use a laxative probably to be sure it all gets through.
another test I would recommend is something called a gastric emptying test. I have a condition known as gastroparesis, or delayed stomach emptying, or stomach motility disorder. This often extends into the rest of the digestive tract, and results in problems such as you describe. Bloating is common, as is loss of appetite and nausea. But everyone is different. That test is an easy one, you go in and eat a small portion of food, then lay on a table as they take x rays to time how long it takes food to pass through. It normally takes about 90 minutes, by which time your stomach should empty by 50%. The doctor ordered the small bowel follow through to check the motility of that part of the digestive tract. Although it is considered uncommon, I believe a lot more people have this and are mistakenly diagnosed with a lot of other things instead, because it causes other problems such as GERD, constipation, etc because things move so slowly.
Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
Oh, yeah. Another thing that I been doing lately, which any doc would rail at me for, is I've really cut down on eating. The severe bloating (up to 6 months pregnant, looks like) happens even if I only drink water. So, it seems I'm turning anorexic again, because I can't stand bloating like this. Without bloating, I'm 5'6" and 125 lbs, and I wear very baggy clothes, just because that's the way I dress. I usually get clothes that are at least XL, and gigantic on me, but when I'm bloated, they're too small. I stay at home when I'm bloated just cuz I have no clothes I can fit into. I have some XXL sweaters I can wear, but no jeans. I went shopping for maternity pants the other day, but I'm a university kid without any money. I couldn't afford them. So, I generally don't eat anymore, except for at night when I know I won't be going anywhere. I don't like this cuz I was very anorexic for a number of years before, and don't particularly want to go back. I didn't eat anything before my doc appointment, so I looked normal, and she told me the next time I come in, I have to eat something so they can see exactly how bloated I get. Now I gotta figure out what to wear when I do that. If my roomie's digital camera worked, then I could take pictures when I'm bloated, and just bring them in, but it doesn't work right now. Shoot. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?
Helpful - 0
I found a small note the doc wrote on the bottom of the form while rereadign the thing last night. It reads

-c/o bloating after eats
   x2 yrs now getting worse
   nx of GERD
-assess transit time into duodenum

That effectively rules out a scope test. I still ain't sure if it's a Barium Swallow or not, though.

They know I have GERD already, and they ruled out gallbladder just because my stomach bloats up within 20min of eating something, and the gallbladder only kicks in about 2hrs after you eat. She thinks it might be my lower sphincter, the one between my stoamch and duodenum. She's thinking that if it's really tight and not letting anything down out of my stomach, that could cause the bloating and acid reflux. Maybe, you never know. I'll have to check into it. Thanx!
Helpful - 0
FANTASTIC!!  I hope this test will help you.  My daughter and I went through pure hell for the past year and two months until we found the right doctor.  Ask your doctor if this test is checking you anatomically or physiolically (sp?).  All of the tests my daughter had done anatomically didn't reveal much other than delayed gastric emptying and gliadin antibody.  Once we did the physiciolical test that being the CDSA stool analyst test with the Great Smokies Lab we got the results. This is something for you to keep in mind.  The CDSA test is used in the evaluation of various gastrointestinal symptoms or systemic illnesses that may have started in the intestine. Because illnesses are often not discernable from symptoms, the CDSA is a valuable means of identifying critical imbalances previously unsuspected.  GOOD LUCK AND GREAT HEALTH
Helpful - 0
Hi Christiane,

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD YOU FINALLY GOT MEDICAL !!!!!!!!!!!!! How have you been feeling? Thanks for replying to my email and let me know when you test is or what it is ?

Email me soon,

Bye for now

Christine
Helpful - 0
Hi Christiane,

I AM SOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD YOU FINALLY GOT MEDICAL !!!!!!!!!!!!! How have you been feeling? Thanks for replying to my email and let me know when you test is or what it is ?

Email me soon,

Bye for now

Christine
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem