Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

pain below left rib cage

pvp
My husband is suffering from pain below his left rib cage for past few months.  This pain starts within half an hour to one hour of meals. Pain is usually more when he has full meals. He has hyper acidity problem for past few years. He usually doesnt have heartburn but this particular pain reduces when he takes antacids. He does not have inflammatory bowels but has soft, mushy and regular b.m.

Can anyone help understanding whether he has problem with stomach or problem with colon???
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
check the pancreas
Helpful - 0
Your husband's symptoms sound to me like gastritis - stomach inflammation. He might try to eat smaller meals and other measures to keep the acid levels down, such as avoiding alcohol, coffee, chocolate, and spicey foods, and cutting down on meat.
Helpful - 0
Hi everyone

after a about a year of problems with various gastro issues, i have been feeling a lot better until just recently. I now have a nagging, burning sensation that is mainly at the top of my stomach but sometimes underneath my ribs, both sides. It isn't really a pain but just like something is burning down there. has anyone any ideas what this could be.

thank you
Helpful - 0
Your husband could have several things. Left sided pain is most likely stomach related.  Usually if it gall bladder its right upper quadrant pain and about 30 to 40 minutes after eating a fatty meal.  If its an ulcer.  Food usually makes it feel better initally then as acid is pumped into the stomach it will feel worse.  You husband needs to see his doctor to discuss an Upper GI series which he will drink barium and it will tell you if he has a hiatal hernia/ulcer/ etc.  You husband should ask his provider about prilosec/nexium/aciphex (one of those) to help w/ his symptoms.  Your husband needs to keep a pain diary and bring it to his doctor.  Onset of pain, duration, radiation, intensity, what makes it better/worse.  Hope that helps.
KJK
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem