Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Inability to burp

My daughter is 16.  She has never been able to burp.  She complains of other problems such as bloating, gassiness, heartburn, a gurglign sensation after eating, she calls it an inner burp, chest pressure, constipation and weight gain.

Please advise us on what she can do.
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
A related discussion, Burping difficulty etc was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, burp was started.
Helpful - 0
A related discussion, burb was started.
Helpful - 0
I'm 20 and from England, i also have the problem of not being able to burp. Only very rarely i'll burp (say once a year) and find it extremely uncomfortable if drinking or eating with friends and also quite embarassing when 'gurgling' if i'm studying in the library.

Are there any exercises which could help my throat/stomach to relax?
Helpful - 0
I was interested to read your post as I had never burped in my life until about two years ago and I am 50+.
About this time I started having all sorts of problems and had motility tests as mentioned by Kevin MD.
I have been diagnosed with a condition that affects the LES (Achalasia).
The tests are at most slightly uncomfortable as a small tube is inserted via the nose and you have to swallow lots of water.
Well worth having to get to the bottom of the problem.
Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
233190 tn?1278549801
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Causes of the symptoms may include GERD or an esophageal motility problem.  There may be a problem with the LES (lower esophageal sphincter).  This is a valve that prevents food from the stomach from going back into the esophagus.  Causes of the symptoms would include either an increased LES tone or failure of the LES to relax sufficiently during swallowing.

You may want to consider having this evaluated by your physician or a pediatric gastroenterologist.  Visualization including an upper endoscopy or an esophageal motility study may help in determining what is causing the symptoms.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem