Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

polyp

Gallbladder polyp measusring 1.89x0.41x0.55 cm was found during upper gi ultrasound.  I do have visual problems with slight dizziness 30mins after eating.  What should be done?  CT scan, Liver enzyme test?  Gallbladder removal?  I want to be sure it is not cancer.  Thank you
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
233190 tn?1278549801
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Gallbladder polyps are found in between 1.5 and 4.5 percent of patients.  Without obtaining a sample, it is difficult to say whether it will progress to cancer.  The only effective treatment is the consideration of a cholecystectomy (i.e. removal of the gallbladder).

Your polyp measures greater than 18mm and certainly should be evaluated for the suspicion of cancer.  You may want to consider a CT scan and endoscopic ultrasound to ensure there is no spread (if cancer is present).  With polyps this size, removal of the gallbladder should be considered.

You may want to discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Helpful - 0
Hello-
Anytime a gallbladder polyp is greater than 1 cm, it has a greater likelihood of cancer.  Gallbladder cancer is extremely lethal.  I would have it removed ASAP!
Good Luck and God Bless You!
Gallbladderbaby
Helpful - 0
Hi,
I was diagnosed with a polyp in my gallbladder in 1998.  One gastro said watch it with sono's every year, but he would check with his colleaques.  He described the size as the size of 2 dimes.  By the time he called me back my primary care said he was crazy and referred me to a surgeon who took it out the next week. I have heard this forever.  NEVER take chances with polyps in the gallbladder because by the time a sono shows that it is growing it is too late, cancer of the gallbladder is almost ALWAYS fatal.  I wish you well and the surgery done by laporoscope was a cinch, I was back to work in 2 weeks.  Find a GOOD surgeon who you trust and follow his guidance.
Be well
Judy
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Digestive Disorders / Gastroenterology Forum

Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem