Aa
A
A
A
Close
18954 tn?1314298117

Hepatitis treatment and suicide risk

Pam
I work at a mental health center.  One of the people I work with has Hepatitis C.  He also has had ongoing depression without any suicidal thoughts.  His gastroenterologist believes he would probably benefit from treatment with interferon plus ribavirin, but is hesitant to do so because of the increased risk of suicide with these drugs.  My question is, how can one weigh the two issues.  If the Hepatitis C is left untreated this will adversely affect his health, but if treatment is initiated, there is a higher risk of suicide.  Do you have any data or studies as to the rate of suicide or suicide attempts of people receiving interferon and ribavirin for their Hepatitis C?  His depression has not been well controlled despite numerous medication trials.
Thank you, Pam
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I didn't see that also.

Sometimes threads get "bumped up".  I've no idea why this one did.
Often it is because the thread gets altered; either it gets a response, or if a post is deleted I believe that it send the thread back to the top again.

Willy
Helpful - 0

12 yrs old??   Just saw that.. wasn"t  that when tx. was monotherapy with  about25 % success?
Helpful - 0
"This thread is 12 years old"

Lulz.  Didn't see that one!
Helpful - 0
The little bit of information that I have concurs with what Willy has seen and heard. Unfortunately there is no real way to know whether interferon and/or hepatitis C exacerbates suicidal ideation or if the patient would have become suicidal any way. Physicians need to be on their toes when dealing with patients, especially patients with pre-existing depression. It is estimated that suicide has occured in 1% of patients taking interferon. You asked about weighing the risk against the benefit. Personally I think that if a patient seems to be heading toward cirrhosis, and is motivated to treat, they should try. However, they should be sure and see a mental health professional to be evaluated frequently. I do know that some of the larger academic centers are using MRI's to look at the brains of depressed people on treatment who are shown pictures of things that would induce violence to themselves or others and there is a difference in the parts of the brain that are activated when looking at the pictures in some of those patients. Much more study has to be done with this subject.
Helpful - 0
This thread is 12 years old.

That's most likely why it doesn't have any responses.

RBW
Helpful - 0
" His depression has not been well controlled despite numerous medication trials."

In that case, he's not a stellar candidate for treatment.  
Helpful - 0
I have an acquaintance that has a history of depression that did one shot and immediately knew that they could not continue.

I have another recollection of a person who went through TX w/o AD's that was severely compromised; I think they came close to suicide.  There were very certainly considering it.

I'm aware of people w/ bi-polar disorder who are not idea candidates for TX that did it and treated successfully for a year.

Every case is different.  Each person responds differently to TX differently.  Each person reacts differently to AD's.  Not all doctors equally skilled with AD's, or AD's as they pertain to treating people on TX.

I've read many people report that the "mental sides" were the toughest part of the treatment.  For many people the treatment lasts a year and the sides from TX may last longer still.

I mention this since the new drugs coming will increase the likelihood of shorter treatment times while increasing the cure rate.  It could be that a difficult TX may become doable if the duration were to be cut in half.  

Something to consider....

best,
Willy
Helpful - 0
Bet I know why this has no responses!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.