Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

any hope for my results? can I get married?

I am a 27 year old male. I was first disgnosed with HBsAg positive and HBeAg Negetive 6 years back. And my doc said that I did not need medication since I was a carrier and the virus is not replicating. Since then, I have had same results until now. In summer on 2005, I also got sonography (I guess same as ultrasound) done for condition of my liver. The results said that size of my liver was fine.

My results have been consistantly as follows:

HBsAg - Positive
HBsAb - Positive (I don't know how)
Core IgM - Negative
HBeAg - Negative
HBeAb - Positive

ALT - 42
AST - 30
AFP - 4.3
HBV DNA, QNT PCR -   < 1.6 log IU
HBV DNA, QNT PCR (log cpy/mL)  -   < 2.3 log
Hep Delta Ab  -  Negative
Hep A IgM - Negative
Hep C Ab - Negative
HIV- Negative

I am planning to get married and I am scared to death about my future. If my life expectancy is less than 60 years, I probably would not want to get married at all. My girlfriend already left me due to HBV infection. I do not drink alcohol or smoke. I eat lot of vegetables and fruits.

My questions are:

1.  I found out that having both, HBsAg and HBsAb, is not very common. Is it a good news or a bad news?

2.  Is there any chance that I will live a perfectly healthy life? If yes, what it the probability if I regularly get my tests done and take medication if required?

3.  What percentage of HBV carriers actually develope liver condition that will lead to serious illness or death?

4.  Is there any hope that I will ever get rid of this virus from my body?

thanks,
sg
28 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hey dude, how can i ever thank you? For a disney character your a ok joe. And those pictures, their the best ones i've ever had taken. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

Chev. What can i say but yip yip woof way. I couldn't ask for a better home. I promise not to chase any puttie cats up any trees, I'll never dig holes in your garden. And i'll always sit at your feet with my head in your lap. I'll snggle  right up against you at night as to keep you warm. This is one happy mutt, thank you.
Helpful - 0
92903 tn?1309904711
Can-do-man: <a href="http://carcino.gen.nz/images/index.php/35a796d8/20c106d4">a great guy to have around</a>.

<small>More <a href="http://www.kottke.org/plus/misc/kiwi_dogfood.html">here</a>, but not for the easily offended....</small>
Helpful - 0
Can Do you don't have to be housebroken...hell you don't even have to sit or stay....we can teach you that...you do however have to be able to clean your own jewels...

deb in az
Helpful - 0
WOO HOO, Forgot to tell you if you want to get my "tail" a wagging all you got to do is pet me.
Helpful - 0
Well im almost house broken, not much of a watch dog lately, but on the bright side i did quit chewen on slippers, and id make a great lap dog. Why does these woman have to be so darn pirticular anymore?
Helpful - 0
92903 tn?1309904711
They'll probably expect you to be house broken, and also to able to sniff your butt to check that it's clean......
Helpful - 0
Thanks...I have an exercycle, or 2. When I was a youthful ne'er do well I leaned on the bar and mentioned to my best friend that maybe I should get a motorcycle. He looked at me and says..."Dude, I ever see you on a motorcycle with out somebody else drivin, I'm just gonna pull a piece and blow ya off the frikkin thing, why wait for the inevitable."  Even the bikers I sometimes ran with in those days told me the world would be a safer place if I stuck to 4 wheels.
Always wanted to be Steve McQueen in the Great Escape. Your vision is as close as I've gotten. Enjoy your training, our sheltie keeps looking at me like I'm hopeless. He's been trying to train me for 3 years now and I just don't get it.
Don
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
wow, what breed if I may ask? I totally get it though if you don't want to say...good on you...

STay Can Do...
Helpful - 0
So you take in strays? If i were to get on all fours and whimper, well what ya think? I must tell you though im just a mutt... wolf wolf
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
you bring up an interesting question, I was always told never to start tx in the summer, but you say it makes you feel colder in the winter...just wondering....
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
Yeah Strator, you've got your own "Cooler" right now, and I'm glad that you sound pretty good considering...wise friend though a bit dramatic, ha ha!
Helpful - 0
92903 tn?1309904711
I have the biotene, and use it some. This is some special goop that snuffs bacteria on sight. Cleared up a minor infection for me in a day. She would like me to use it daily on tx, but I forget to. It's not the natural solution, but neither is my WBC natural. I'm blasting everything with the big guns these days. It's like I've got Rumsfeld running my germ war ......
Helpful - 0
Foresee Do you do dog rescue too?  That's one of the things I am worried about still having the energy to do on tx.  We generally take in 1-2 dogs every couple of months or so and work on them to prepare them for adoption.  If we don't take in dogs then we will usually do a transport.  I know you haven't started tx yet but I was just curious since I haven't heard much on pets/rescues etc that people have to deal with on tx.  

Everyone-I don't post much but I sure do love reading this site.  You guys are all too funny and of course I have learned a lot along the way.  I'm leaving this sunday to Northern California for my gallbladder surgery.  It will finally come out on Wedensday.  I come back on the 25th and see my doc on the 28th...I told her I'll be ready to tx by then.  So let's hope no more complications and we can get on with this ride!!!

By the way being a mom is great....I've learned that stepping on a lego is the worst delayed pain I've ever felt....also I didn't realize how funny the word "bootie butt" can actually be...the best part is that to my new three year old...I am the coolest person in the world not to mention the best dancer ever......and with a little imagination ANYTHING can be made into a gun or a sword!!

Deb in
AZ
Helpful - 0
continue researching both medication choices and if you are deciding on one interferon over the other because of what you read in chat, it is not enough.  IF you choose one med because you read it works better than the other, but the sides hit you so hard you have to quit, then its efficacy was 0% for you.  People have achieved SVR with both alpha 2b and alpha 2a interferons. Both work.

here is an excerpt from a comparison study, the PEAK i believe, it is only a paragraph of one of the many  articles people considering tx should read:

"At week 1, 6/54 patients receiving peginterferon alfa-2b had achieved virologic response compared with 4/53 patients receiving peginterferon alfa-2a. At week 4, 50% (22/53 in each group) of patients in both peginterferon groups had achieved virologic response. By week 8, seven additional patients receiving peginterferon alfa-2a had achieved virologic response (total, 29/44), whereas the number for those treated with peginterferon alfa-2b remained the same (total, 22/44).32"

please do your own research in adittion to reading the forums, then follow your gut and your dr's advice.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the well wishes.

I have been doing rescue for about 3 years.  I go back and forth between transportins and fostering.  When I get burnt out on one I do the other.  Then I always do my bsl letters.  I pretty much stick to one breed but of course will help out with any dog or cat.  I'm the one everyone brings dogs to when they find strays....once word gets around in these parts everyone wants to drop off or dump in your lap.

As you said it's always to good to meet a fellow rescuer....

deb in az
Helpful - 0
92903 tn?1309904711
Yesterday I took a cutting from a tomato plant that was forming fruit in a weed patch I walk past on my way to work. Tomorrow I'll be planting it outside in a pot - then into the garden in a few weeks.  

Forsee: When are you going to get that garden started? Great time to plant broccoli and beans up here......
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
yeah, I go in and out of dog rescue (and a few kitties now and then), as you probably know very well...it takes so much out of you, financially, physically and emotionally...but it's soooo rewarding to know that you saved some little doggie souls from a certain death...since my own doggie died, like 4 months ago now, I've been taking a few in, training them (ecch, I hate house training!) and getting them ready for adoption, plus, finding adoptive "parents" ...

I guess the stress of testing and finding out things, waiting to go on tx, whatever, it keeps my mind busy besides working...really nice to meet a fellow rescuer, some of the kindest, most "giving" people I have ever met...there are so many animal lovers here on this and other hep c boards...a very good thing....there are many, many rescue groups here in LA, more than anyplace else, so there are more rescuers than potential adoptive parents, ha! at least it seems that way!...Do you ever watch that program "The Dog Whisperer" on National Geographic Channel on cable? this guy is amazing and I've learned so much from him, give it a watch if you don't already...and I would suggest his DVD to anyone who wants some really, really good dog training tips!

Hey Goofie: did I mention I was renting a plot for veggies? these pups are taking so much of my time I'm wondering if all I'll see in it are a few weeds (and not the medicinal kind...) Talk about training...I betcha wifey has a real gas of time with you! Whoa Nellie! Hope your family is doing well...

Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
forgot to wish you luck on your upcoming surgery...wow, know so many people who have had this done! glad youre waiting a bit to heal before tx...best of luck!
Helpful - 0
I'm freezing to death too - NorEasters blah!  It's been a great winter comparitively to others but we are in for it now...

Try to stay warm this weekend...this tx makes us so much colder than everybody and unless you've lived in the NE...you can't really fathom what a good old fashion NorEaster is like can you?
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
Just sitting here downing my goat milk and fruit smoothie...chuckling at your post...youre a good guy Strator and I'm gonna be soooo happy when you post your SVR~ yeah, we basically didn't have a winter here, a few cold days, (in the 50's relatively speaking) but it's in the mid 80's lately, it's really kind of creepy though of course I guess I should be more grateful...fostering another doggie so I've been busy training...you have a bike? you stike me as a motor cycle guy....what kind? Steve McQueen in "The Great Escape" comes to mind, ha ha! good wishes to you and your family....
Helpful - 0
THE A/C!!!??? It's in the 20's here and their talking about a Nor'Easter this weekend. I had my old exercycle and weight bench out in the driveway for sale, went to bring the bike in for the night and when I touched the metal frame I thought it was gonna be a permanent adornment. Just like me to have a vehicle I have to carry around. And don't be giving Goof any ideas about 'Mowin de Lawn'(the extent of my French side linguistics). Next thing ya know... we'll be seeing him on a Wisteria Lane episode. I'll have to have my kid cover his ears and close his eyes...
Jealous Ct Yankee
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
hermano mio, don't want to take issue with you on this...but you said that youre taking an anti-bacterial w/alcohol for your teefers and gums...alcohol is a drying agent, no? Won't Biotene do much the same thing? you guys burning up like us? still have my A/C on, it's ungodly...fine weather for mowing the grass....
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the nice words.

Both drugs have their advocates. I've had a number of drugs initially rejected by my insurance company but usually all it takes is a call (or two) from the doctor's office to get it approved. It's good your doctor is working with you on this.

If things don't work out, you can always call the insurance company direct and inquire about what criteria they need to approve the Peg Intron and then pass it along to your doctor. Good luck and hope it all works out. I personally like the weight-based concept myself, especially for bigger folks and have also heard from several doctors about the lower relapse rate. Of course, these doctors were affiliated more with Shearing in terms of trials. Be nice to have some hard data but who can wait.

-- Jim

Helpful - 0
Ha Jim ,I didn't get to cograt. you on being still undetectable. Well congratulation,I knew you were still virus free! Man I hope I can handle the tx like you have. You are a very determined person and your going to win!

Question, I received a letter from my insurance today and they won't approve the pegintron but will approve the pegasy.I want to give this tx the best I can and I'm leaning toward the pegintrn over the pegasy.

As discussed here before the pegintron dosage go by ones weight ,the heavier the higher the dose administered. I called the doc and the np said their going to try to get the pegintron approved because he likes to tx with the weight based meds.

Pegasy is one dose for all and some say the sx's are easier.I've read though that relapes are fewer with those txing with the pegintron. Wonder why they will approve the peg-a over the peg-b?  Congrats again,Dyce
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.