Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

hepa results, can someone help me interpreting?

I just had a HbsAg test a month ago at school and it turned out to be positive. I wen to the doctor and he adviced me to undergo a series of tests such as HBe, Anti-Hbe and SGPT. my results were negative, positive and 168 respectivley. I was given a drug to lower down my sgpt and the doctor further said to have an HBV DNA test to determine whether the virus was alive in my body. my result was 13,100,000 copies/mL. what does this mean?
4 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
It means you should go see a good GI ( not military, but Gastroenterologist) or better yet, a Hepatologist. You def have the Hep B virus and as such have to be very careful with your blood. Hep B (unlike Hep C) is spread much more easily via sex. You don't seem to have a extremely high sgpt, so I doubt that you have an acute case. You are probably a chronic carrier
( meaning your body never got rid of the virus). There are other HB tests that tell more, as to how infectious you are. Ask your doctor to do some. Also, depending on symptoms and other factors ( age and approximate time of carrier status ) your doctor might want to do a biopsy. But since you said you were tested at school, I'm guessing you meant high school or something similar. I'm curious what made your school test you?

P.S. This is mostly a Hep C forum,although we ( the guys and girls here) do answer other type of Hep questions. Help is help after all, but there is a hep b forum as well. My partner has chronic Hep B. No sharing toothbrushes or personal hygiene items...like razors or nail clippers. And NO DRINKING...its very toxic to the liver and increases the amount of virus in your system.

2hep2it
Helpful - 0
For a HBe Antigen negative, your 13,000,000 viral count is very high as typically the cutoff for HBe Antigen negative is only 10,000 for treatment.

If you do NOT have an acute case, I would imagine that on your next doctor visit, they will want to begin some type of treatment or even do a biopsy.

If you do have an acute case (which is possible since your SGPT is ~4x normal), then you would probably have to wait it out to see if your body can create antibodies on it's own.

Follow up with your doctor and get a referral to a GI or hepatologist if you can.

leeac
Helpful - 0
I doubt that its an acute case, even thought the SGPT is 168. With acute cases the range can be in the thousands. My SGPT was 120 last month. And thats after 9 years.

P.S. Alanine Aminotransferase (ALT) is also known as serum glutamic pyruvic transaminase (SGPT). Short form: AST = SGOT and ALT = SGPT. It is the most reliable predictor ( as far as alt or ast ) of liver problems. Notice I said problems. Only a biopsy can tell liver DAMAGE specifically and conclusively.

2hep2it
Helpful - 0
Sorry, I forgot to tell you that you should ask your doctor to give you a Hep A vaccine. You need to protect yourself from a co infection. As you now know, the " it'll never happen to me" syndrome isn't all its cracked up to be. So please get the shot, even if people  or doctors tell you " You shouldn't worry about it, the risk is low". Good luck

2hep2it
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.