Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HCV lifetime outside body

I was just wondering:

how long can HCV live in blood outside of the body?

Does anyone know?

Thank you.
16 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
96938 tn?1189799858
If you are looking for your point (no pun intended) of infection, that one seems a little remote.  Any other possibilities, other piercings, tatoo, transfusion, medical or dental procedures, IV drug use, bar fight with NYgirl???????
Helpful - 0
I know I am getting tiring but can HCV be found to animals?
Helpful - 0
I had been told by dr 72 hrs ..But have read on internet it   Could live in dried blood up to 4 days and certain disinfectents wont even kill it .I bandage every knick and scratch now. No sense in passing it on ,Verry scary makes me wonder were i really got it ??? ill probally never know...
Helpful - 0
Bleach will kill it. General rule, 10% for 10 minutes.
Helpful - 0
So there is no possibility of being infected by a needle which had not been used for more than 10 days. Right?

And something else. I burnt the needle with my lighter. I think that fire kills the virus (if it was on the needle). Right?

Thank you all!
Helpful - 0
Burning the needle makes no difference.  There is no type of sterilization that will "clean" a dirty needle.  That is how I got tricked into using somebody else's needle and that is how I caught HCV.

HCV can live up to 3 days outside of the body, possibly longer.  

It sounds to me like you need to get yourself tested.
Helpful - 0
Not necessarily. I have heard it can live longer than what others are saying. It can be dried out too and still be alive. I wouldn't bank on 4 days being a definate. I have heard as long as 10-14 days could be possible. Never underestimate the power of this virus.
You mean you used a lighter to "sterilize" it?
I wouldn't depend on that being reliable.

Like sindog said, a mild beach solution, that works.
Helpful - 0
well I used a needle that I found at my home. None of my family members have HVC (they have done the check up tests).I took the needle, put some alcohol on it, and also burnt it and then pierced my ear.

What I am afraid about is whether the needle was brought at home from outside.
Helpful - 0
It's a lot longer than I had thought that much I know - days is a very scary concept isn't it?
Helpful - 0
Eve if you used your lighter, it is the tube inside the needle that is the problem with dirty needles where the drugs pass through the needle, that can not be sterilized.
I agree you need to be tested for HCV and HIV.
Helpful - 0
I don't understand, you used a needle you found ying around? You mean a sewing needle or a neddle that was used for injecting drugs?
Helpful - 0
A sewing needle for piercing my ear
Helpful - 0
Ok, I thought you meant a drug needle. They are different, one is hollow one is not. If no one has this virus and they wouldn't be using it for purposes of piercing their skin for any reason, it was just a regular sewing needle, I'd figure you are ok, you left out the part about using alcohol in your first post. I'd think the heat and the alcohol would be ok but in the future don't poke yourself with any unsterilized objects. You could get a nasty infection.
Helpful - 0
No one used it for piercing their skin.

Thank you!
Helpful - 0
I thought he was talking about drug needles too.  Next time, I need to get more info before I respond.  LOL
Helpful - 0
I beleive about four days.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.