Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

DAILY DIET

WHAT KIND OF DAILY DIET DO YOU ALL THINK WOULD BE BEST FOR ME IF  DX--- WITH HEP B OR HEP C  OR FATTY LIVER?

CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HEP B/ HEP C OR A FATTY LIVER IN A SIMPLE LANGUAGE I CAN UNDERSTAND?

ANG

30 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
stay away from red meats! check out alkaline diet, it covers almost most of the good foods you  need to eat and avoid.
Helpful - 0
I am new here and I have just been diagnosed with Hep C.

Just started my diet 5 days ago.  Breakfast is omelet with egg whites, fresh mushrooms and tomatoes with a hint of salt.  A large glass of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice helps wash it down. (Grapefruit does wonders for the liver).  I juice my own grapefruits; it can't get any more fresh than that.  

Lunch is a nice turkey sandwich with tomatoes.  I make a big bowl of mixed greens salad with avocados and cucumbers.  Dressing is fresh lemon juice (I juice it), olive oil, and a little salt.  I fill up my sandwich with the salad too!!  

Dinner is either rotisserie chicken or Tuna (in light olive oil) Sandwich with yet another bowl of salad.    

During the day, I snack on low-fat organic fruit yogurts and after dinner I have a steamed whole artichoke with a light and healthy dip that I bought from trader Joes.  I DO NOT INTAKE VINGAR.  I eat red meat once a week.  I also cut up all sorts of fruits in a big bowl and snack on it during the day.  I was never much into drinking water, so I am pushing myself to drink more everyday.

I was a tea drinker.  I have cut out regular tea.  I drink chamomile only.  No more fried food.  No coffee.  No more white bread.  I have replaced my craving to have chocolate with tea with cranberries with tea!  I also looked up some vegetables/herbs/roots that are good for the liver and I am planning to find them soon and start blending them in my diet.  

I will do another blood test soon to see if this diet makes a difference.
Helpful - 0
131817 tn?1209529311
I hear you about eating. These days I find that whatever I can get down and keep down is great.  I think my diet was better pre-tx. I did more shoppting and cooking myself. Now I rely on hubby for a lot of meals. Or I drink Ensure. His diet is really not great!

While it is good to hear what others eat, sometimes it makes me feel a little guilty that I can't do this right now. Like I said, I'm lucky to get in what I can. If John orders pizza, I try and eat it. I've even eaten a hamburger, and I don't like them. Tx takes priority for me right now, like you said Can do, all the rest I will sort out when I am through.
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
hi, I realize that you are on treatment and that effects your taste palette, so please, just eat anything you can get down, by all means...just a nudge, see if you can try to get some good nutrition by having some fruit smoothies with maybe a little protein powder (depends on level of cirrhosis, etc) there are things you can drink if you can't eat...I've had previous problems with eating so I kinda know what that's like...I only say this cause I care...I know I can be a big budinsky!!!!

As far as preaching, etc...I just look at it this way, we are a group of people, and as with any group of people, we are going to display different personalities and different ways of communicating...perhaps my way of communicating rubs some people the wrong way, and I'm fine with that, it would be that much stranger if everyone of us gelled perfectly...

One thing I do know is that I think the vast, vast majority of us are caring people and only want the best for everybody suffering with this, we just have different ways of expressing this...

This even goes to gender differences, etc....I see a lot of guys expressing themselves differently then the women, etc...I've been told that I kind of express myself like a guy, so maybe that's where I get into trouble, ha ha!

All and all we are all in the same boat...and no one understands what it's like with this disease better then another hep c patient....
Helpful - 0
91778 tn?1252555170
Hi and good morning. I didn't think you was preaching. In fact I like seeing what other people eat. I even print it out cause I know I need help and I do plan on eating better. Maybe not to the extent yall do. When I read someone out there probable had pizza  and stuff. I was cracking up cause I couldn't believe how much I had ate that day. That was not a normal day. Have a great day.
Helpful - 0
I never recall you as preachy or as judgeing. And i don't have a problem with how any one eats. I just don't care much when people want to push their ways as the right and only way. Then start judging or preaching when everyone don't agree with them. Some day some of these people might find out they wasn't as right as they thought they was. And i feel anyone about to start tx should talk with their doctor before makeing major changes in their eating. Whats good or works for some might not fit all. But i have no problem with how you put things, I know i could eat alot better. But right now im in a bigger fight. First as a stage 4 i would like to live. And tx is no vacation. So if i make it through it then i can worry about other things.
Hope your ok
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
Reading this thread is like a cha cha, Tulsatime to Can do Man, Tulsa time to Can do man, ha ha! Anyway, hope I wasn't coming off as preachy, I'm totally okay with what anyone wants to do or eat, as long as they are not hurting anybody...we were just talking about supplementation and food and I thought I'd put down what I do and why....hope everyone is doing great tonight....
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
WOW, ROCKER DUDE!!! CUT DOWN ON THOSE ALPHALFA SPROUTS WILL YA! YOURE WIGGIN OUT!!!! My Ass indeed!!!!
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
Wow, Rocker, youre intense! thought I was bad, ha ha! Mine, oatmeal with blueberries and cinnamon, some soy milk (oh, btw, Ina, have read some studies lately that soy has gotten a bad rap, it is pretty darn good for most people unless they are proven allergic, of course, in moderation)

One 5 minute egg...and a drink I drink made from different kinds of berries, it's called Berry Splash from Garden of Greens....

I drink a glass of it every morning, one spoonful in a glass of water...it's got Acai Berry, Green Tea, Grape Skin, Rasberry, Lycium (Gogi) berry, Billberry, Blueberry, Elderberry, Pomegrante, Cherry, Blackberry, and Cranberry Extracts...it gives you a little pep and so many anti-oxidants, one can can last you a pretty long time...

For supplements I take in the morning, Orega-max (big blast of plain old oregano) Biotin (swear, my hair and nails are better since I started taking this) Glucosamine&Chondrointin and MSM, Betaine HCI, Ultimate 10 probiotic, 500 of Ester C, small amount of Vitamin D....the rest of my supplementation....I take some at in early evening and before bed...always with food...I have also been taking the Apple Cider vin but that's not till later, whew!

I also have a smoothie in the afternoon of fruits, soy or goat milk and goat yogurt...Ive been eating like this for years, and taking these supplements, when people complain of taking like fish oil capsules or something, I can't relate to it, it's so second nature to me to take this stuff by now, I don't think about it...I make sure I have a lot of liquid, a lot of liquid in my mouth with the pill, and then knock my head back, no problem swallowing...please Goofus, if you make a remark I'll find ya...Anyway, that's my breakfast and a few other tidbits, like I said, you get used to it...

Helpful - 0
If you could supply me with a couple of your daily menus, I would truly appreciate it.  I am all for healthy eating.  
Pam
Helpful - 0
what's wrong with starbucks anyway? it goes well with my pancakes and scrambled eggs(whole eggs, vegetarian fed)

you really think that if you don't load up on spirulina and alpha lipoic, that you are not healthy??
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
hmmm, for lunch I just had a baked salmon sushi roll (don't eat raw fish anymore but I love it) some veggie tempura and a cold water and a litte bit of tangerine juice cocktail, lime squeeze...lunch is when I take tumeric extract (same thing as cummin I guess Rocky) 200 of vit e, 500 mg of Black Current Oil, 600 NAC, little bit of licorice root, little bit of Ashwagandha herb, a capsule of Schizandra Berry Powder, (that's a staple of TCM, but I just don't do a whole TCM protocol) I would take a fish oil capsule but I just had some salmon so I won't....

It's fun to see what other people are taking and eating, I'm sure people can be healthy (all you SVR's out there) without taking all the stuff I do...I just still have the bugs so I'm pretty careful of what I eat and I take a good regimen..for me...

I just think it would of been funny if someone posted:

Well, I had sausage, waffles and jelly, coffee and cigarettets for breakfast, lunch is two big Macs, large fries and a shake, dinner is a coupla Crispy Cremes and pepperoni pizza slices and an RC Cola, ha ha! but nobody did...we gotta have a sense of humor with all this or I'd get crazier than I already am...
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
Hey, I didn't know you could spell out ass here, good to know going forward...
Helpful - 0
94007 tn?1224762736
It wasn't the whole regimen, it was the black cohosh, I didnt know what I didnt know and got real freaked out
I'm not treating yet, son is starting in Sept, but I did feel heathier when I took some supplements and ate better - I do eat fish but no meat for a long time

jmjm your diet looks good, the challenge for me is finding meals that everyone can or rather WILL eat
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
I could of told you black cohosh was bad news, I thought so way back when - years ago and everyone was going on about it...I took it and felt speedy...always a red flag to me so I stopped immediately...then the negatives started coming in...sometimes I have to be my own lab rat, and I'm so sensitive I can listen to my body....

I know what you mean if you have a family and you have to cook and shop for everyone...I'm taking care of a 17 year old girl now (I've never been a mother before) and it was REALLY hard getting her to eat like me, it took her awhile to adjust, ha ha! I also had to take into account that kids have really sensitive palettes, something to them can taste twice as spicy, etc.. then to an old bag like me...ha ha!

But I had her adjust to it little by little, I didn't make her change her whole way of eating right off...and she still does Taco Bell and McDonalds, etc at least once a day, (somedays not) cause she craves it sooooo bad...but then she eats pretty decently for breakfast and dinner, she's developing a palette for veggies and fruits she didn't have before, so it can be done...she's actually opting for nectarines and plums over candy, that's a miracle right there! I even have her drinking aloe vera juice! ha ha!

When I told her she'd clear up her pimples (and she has done for the most part) that kind of motivated her, and that she'd keep her weight down...kids are pretty basic in their needs as you well know...now she's pretty much used to it as long as she can have the junk food a little as well...hope youre having a nice weekend....
Helpful - 0
I was eating great for a while.  I would wake up make myself a soy shake with bannas and strawberries and some whey poweder.  Cut out all milk and cheese.  I was eating two servings of vegetables a day and for dinner I would ussually eat Salmon or some type of light fish or chicken.

Then my girlfriend broke up with me.  and i'm back to Starbuchs in the morning, Mountain dew, Dominoes Pizza, and a pack of cigs on top.

:(
Helpful - 0
91778 tn?1252555170
For breakfast I had a large cup of vanilla capachino. For lunch I had Porkiepines (Hamburger with rice in it and ketchup and onions in case no one knows what that is.) Salad, feta noodles with creamy sauce. Cheese cake with stawberrys. All of this was at a family reunion. On the way home grabbed a cinnamin roll. For supper had 4 coneys at coney i-lander. Now can you believe that. Heehee. Wished I could hide my name. I am so ashamed, well not too bad. I am going to change I promise.
Helpful - 0
Yeah and don't forget to judge and preach.:)
Helpful - 0
Thats funny, Hope you got some onions on them coneys
Helpful - 0
91778 tn?1252555170
you betcha
Helpful - 0
91778 tn?1252555170
you betcha
Helpful - 0
91778 tn?1252555170
you betcha
Helpful - 0
91778 tn?1252555170
oops how did that happened
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
Snook: sounds good to me, one thing that's not pointed out that much around here, I think, it's not always a question of what you give up, (so many people freak out that they have to give up all their guilty pleasures, maybe just trim them down a little, that's all).....things in moderation are always good (except if youre a sugar fanatic, this is bad for the liver, try to cut down, not you Snook, you know this already)

It's mostly a question of what you ADD to your diet that can be helpful...you can eat a slice of greasy pizza once in awhile, just try to make sure you eat a few healthy veggies with it, with some olive oil, etc...so you have the good enzymes to digest al that garbage...then make sure you add fruits and veggies to you diet, and gradually youre diet becomes better and better, cause the good food tastes better and better to you after awhile...

There is also a psychological thing too that I think Chev pointed out, and I share this with her, though it might sound controversial, ha ha! I get a little turned on when I eat something really good for me, like it's doing me good and helping to fight this disease I have...

Dance Girl: I left out something of interest that proves something to me, at least to some extent...2 years ago now I had a new doc that told me to cut out all my herbs and supplementation, all of it, to see what would happen...within a few weeks I started to feel what I think are some of the worst symptoms of this disease, I started to get acid reflux, started to get dark circles, fluey feelings, night sweats, etc. etc...wow, I thought I was really sick!!!! I even got an attack of these hives for two days that went away with some anti-histamines...

So I figured, what am I doing differently? And I remembered, well, I'm not on my supplementation, my diet and exercise regimen was the same though...

I took some blood values right in that period, and my alts went up to 70, they had never been that high before, though I'll allow it could of been coincidental...

Well, I went right back on my regimen and I felt better within a week...so, for me, I can have two tons of naysayers telling me that supplementation is hogwash, whatever they want to say, all I know is it works for me and I'll do anything I can not to feel those creepy symptoms again, now for the most part I just have fatigue...

I am waiting to see what my next step is....have a great weekend!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.