Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Is my Hepatitis B test conclusive?

Hi everyone! My name's Daniel and I'm new to this forum. Over the past few weeks, I've been visiting a sexual health clinic for various tests, including one for Hepatitis B. My blood test for Hep. B took place on June 13, which was 7 weeks and 6 days after an incident occured that involved me giving unprotected oral sex. The test came back negative. The thing is, however, is that this test took place only 4 weeks and 4 days from the last time I had sexual contact with my partner. I'm now no longer with this person, but the whole ordeal of having to be tested for various things has left me traumatised, and I'm now worried about this ex-partner's Hep. B status. Is the test result conclusive for both the unprotected oral sex incident (7 weeks and 6 days) and for the last time I had sexual contact with my ex-partner (4 weeks and 4 days)? Thanks. (Sorry about the length.)
10 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for your comments nygirl and GrandOak. The unprotected oral sex incident is THE ONLY time I've been unsafe - it was a stupid mistake. The upset that all this has caused has taught me a lesson, and I will NEVER engage in anything like this again. I also had a blood test for HIV and various other STDs at 7 weeks and 6 days, and the results all came back negative. I'm having a second blood test for HIV that will be past the 12-week 'window' period. I'm still very shaken up by it all, but I'm trying to do my best and living life to the full in the meantime.
Helpful - 0
Thanks Pdilly and chevygal55. I have been tested for Hep. B and the test result was negative, so perhaps I'm worrying too much.
Helpful - 0
By the way, I'm also having Hep. B vaccinations for future protection.
Helpful - 0
I just upped myself back up to 80,000 Epogen since I'm sure the doc will tell me to do that tomorrow. I am not going to let him drop my meds (although he knows me pretty well and I'm sure he'd be even afraid to suggest it to me).  

Once I went down to once a week the hemo was always falling slowly each week so I think it just hit some level where it went BANG that's enough I need more Epo!

I don't feely NEARLY as bad as the first time I was at 9 I can tell you that - but it sure isn't pleasant.  My head was ringing this morning and I was like yeehaw I forgot all about this fun!

I know in a few weeks it will go away...but dang it's hard to come to work when you have that little oxygen floating about.

Helpful - 0
I hear you there girl.  I've been in pretty much the same boat with the exception that my Hgb has not dropped as low as it did when my first doc simply cut my RBN rather than begin Procrit tx augmentation to my HCV tx.

I also think the frustration, and perhaps concern that tx may not work or be possible to complete due to sx on Hgb, coupled with my RBN increase which has led to my increase in anger episodes lately.

Fortunately, I have a desk job with a personal office which allows me to struggle through those days of low periods, and yes close the door as occasionaly vent when my patience wears thin from working with Windows and feeling so tired with a constant low grade headache.

But I remind myself, that compared to so many others I've talked to on-line or in person, I've been blessed to only have to experience the anemia sx of tx and not the other sx's they have to endure and that my WBC is just above having to add a neupogen tx as well (which I probably wouldn't mind if it helped since what is one more poke into a body which is already feeling like a pin cushion).
Helpful - 0
Well, I'm anxiously awaiting with baited breath the results from last weeks PCR, which are supposed to be run today and hopefully relayed to me.  It's been 14 wks since the last, which showed a real slow down in the rate the spike balls were being deflated and has been a point of frustration not knowing if more progess is being made.

It's soooo much fun being at wk 25 looking at 48-72 more to go.  Knowing whether I'm making progress will probably help with the RibaRage.  At least I hope so since I'm not doing AD's or anything else other than the Procrit.

But hey, I was told that I could go to 650,000 U of Procrit accoring to my Pharmacist from their pharmacology guide.
Helpful - 0
if you are neg you are neg but being protected by vaccine is a good idea..  HOwever remember that MUCH WORSE diseases can be passed that you CANNOT be vaccinated for.

I consider myself LUCKY that I got hepC if I had to get something because at least there is a cure for it.  You can't yet find a cure for AIDS so use PROTECTION.

Beagle - where are you I feel like garbage....my hemo is too low and I need a shoulder to cry on...at 9 I am falling asleep again an can't IMAGINE how you lived for so long at 8 and stuff.  Really makes me appreciate you!
Helpful - 0
Daniel - I awould agree with nygirl, neg is neg.  However, if one is practicing an at risk lifestyle, then protection would seem to be the best policy.  Keep in mind that since 1991 Hep B vaccination has been maditory in the vaccination schedule of children, much like TB was added decades ago and virtually eliminated the disease until recent flare ups started to occur.

Better safe than sorry would be my policy.

Nygirl - Sorry to hear you're not doing so well.  I can empathize with you as I too have been hovering in the 10's for the last month or two as I've tried to ramp my RBN back to full dosage, finally reached 1200 mg 4 wks ago at wk 20 of tx.

While I don't feel nearly as fatigued as when I dropped to 9, it has not been a picnic in the park as I continue to kick up my Procrit every few weeks (now at 80,000 U as of this week) hoping to get a better response and get my RBN up to 1400 mg.  Praying you start rebounding soon.
Helpful - 0
I tell you in the beginning the RibaRage was a HUGE problem for me too, I am usually pretty mellow but my GOD I would snap at the slightest provacation and go NUTS.  It was horrible, I thank God that my family was told and KNEW it wasn't ME or THEM it was the meds or they would have thrown me out on the street.

It was that bad.

Fortunately now at week 43 or whatever..it's pretty much gone and has been for a while, either that or I'm just so used to being like that I don't even notice anymore.

I hope it's not the latter!

Sides come and sides go.  Just like we learn on shot night...you never really know WHAT to expect you know?  It seems as soon as you get over one another one pops up (or comes back).

Nobody said this would be fun - the only fun is killing those stupid critters and finding out you are UND or SVR. AH that makes it ALL worth it!
Helpful - 0
I don't know much about Hep B (most on this site have Hep C) but do know it is easy to catch.  Here is a site from the
CDC that could help you with info.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/b/
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.