Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Was vaccine for Hep B

I had recived the Hep B vaccine over 10yrs ago after I had completed school. I had blood work done last week, my blood work came back Hep B Surface antibodys,What does this mean? I'am really scared, Can you please give me some insite on this matter?
16 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Well I had my hepA shot & my 2 hep B shots and I got a serum test done 3 months after and it read >3.5.. Still to low to be protective or something like that. I received my last HEPB shot 6 months after and got serum retested after 6 months and it showed it didn't take at all.
So I guess is common for the HEPA&B vaccines not to work...
bummer ha?
saludos
scuba
Helpful - 0
Way, I too wished I had known, but it's behind me now and after a few weeks my arms recovered from the 6 month final vaccinations.

Kalio1, Are you aware of anything which identifies this revaccination schedule?  The reason I ask is that I know all children born after 1990 receive the HBC vaccination as part of their required shot schedules and not aware of anything which indicated that occasional re-vaccination was required.  So I found your comment interesting and have it on my list to ask my doc as through the fog I seem to recall that they mentioned it was not necessary to re-vaccinate when I began mine.  But then again thx to Brian Fog and several 6 1/2 months of tx my recall isn't as sharp as it once was and I do not think I can attribute 6 1/2 months of ageing to account for it ;-)
Helpful - 0
antibodies are formed either when you receive the vaccination or your own body fights of a hep b infection.  it's a good thing.
Helpful - 0
Someone more informed than I will have to answer, but to share what I was told.... my doctors told me I don't have B, although it confused me also when I saw Hep B Surface AB <3.0      mIU  0.0-8.9. My first doctor did a test and it just said "non-reactive."

My ca125 (cervical cancer test) says "18", but yet I was told I don't have cervical cancer. I don't understand it,to me everything should come up "0", if you don't have it, but what do I know?? Not much about this kind of stuff.  Even though I am not equipped to answer, i hated to think of you sitting at your computer waiting for someone to log onto their computer and answer your question. By the way, your doctor would have told you, if it was hep b. Hopefully someone will explain all this for you. i am going to ask my doctor to explain it to me tommorrow and if you didn't get an answer yet, I will get back to you with what the doctor said. I don't think you have anything to worry about though.
Helpful - 0
way
Does anyone know how long you should wait after vaccinations to see if they took. I haven't gotten the 6th month one yet.
Helpful - 0
I'm not aware of any testing done to see if they took, you simply go through the series of vaccinations, at least that was the case for me.

I did run across this link which provided some useful HBV information in more layman's terms:

http://www.comeunity.com/adoption/health/hepatitis/smith.html
Helpful - 0
way
I think it's a test to see if you have the antibodies. If not it's prudent to re-vaccinate. I wish I'd known to ask for the A and B combo vac. Both my arms are STILL sore.
Helpful - 0
You are right, the Hep B vaccination doesn't always "take"
you can go to the doctor and have them test to see if they worked.
Also I was told they do not last forever and you have to redo them every 8-10 years or so.
Helpful - 0
My understanding is that once you've been vaccinated, you're protected.  In other words, that unlike tetanus which requires periodic re-vaccination, you do not to be re-vaccinated for HBV.

I do not know if being vaccinated means that the anti-bodies are always present in your system to combat the virus if encountered or if simply prepares, teaches, the system to produce the anti-bodies as needed.
Helpful - 0
When I had my kids vaccinated they said it doesn't always "take" and also that it "wears off" and to have them rechecked every 8 to 10 years or so. Like a tetnus shot, which also "wears off" you have to redo them. You also have to redo  MMR, so you might want to discuss revaccination/boosters in general with your doctor. It is now recommended that all people, but especially those with compromised immune systems ages 11-65 have a booster for pertussis as it is on the rise but you might want to ask about boosters for other childhood illnesses for yourself and the kids as they can be quite dangerous to adults.
The time table for redoing the shots or getting booster shots vary from person to person, some wear off sooner than others.
Helpful - 0
Thanks for the info, I was not aware of that for HBV, good information for a parent to have, especially an HCV infected one.
Helpful - 0
way
I had an appt with my PCP today which I had to re-schedule because my car's in the shop.

So should I ask for boosters for all the childhood diseases,MMR and pertusis? They should have a "package" that they automatically give to the immune compromised. When I ask for all the childhood vac's I know she'll (the Doc) ask what ones I want and then I'll feel like an idiot. If she does that maybe I'll just walk out and find another Dr.

For lack of anything better to get done I was also planning on getting a bone density test.

Can you or anyone else think of anything that I should get checked that would be part of TX maintenance. Thank you!
Helpful - 0
I would talk to the doctor about boosters or maybe alll your local county health dept. I am going by info I have read the county puts out. Here is a blerb from a pamphlet the county health dept. puts out:

"A few vaccines, like the one for measles or the series for hepatitis B, may make you immune for your entire life but not always. Others, like tetanus, last for many years but require periodic shots (boosters) for continued protection against the disease.

The pertussis vaccine also does not give lifelong immunity, and that may be one reason why there are still outbreaks of the disease. And although pertussis isn't as serious of a problem for most older kids and adults, it can be spread to infants and young children who may develop whooping cough. In the near future, adolescents and adults may start receiving pertussis boosters along with the tetanus and diphtheria booster (Td) - an important step in controlling these infections."

Helpful - 0
you can request titers done to see if a booster is needed in any of the vaccinations. why take any more shots if they are not needed?  even if you had the actual disease while in childhood, the immunity could wear off.
Helpful - 0
I recieved my first dose of Hep B vacination on the 14th of this month.  I believe I am going in again in August around the 14th for the second part.  And sometime in January for the final shot.

I guess I too will have the hep B antibody in me as well after all those vacination particles in me.

:)
Helpful - 0
The anti bodies shows that you were exposed to the hep B virus and that is probably from the vacination to the hep B.
This is a good thing so don't worry.  It means that the vaccine worked.

Beagle
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.