Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

HBSAg. Please someone explain????

I recently only had a HBSag test done for Hepatitis B after a questionable sexual encounter about 4.5 months ago. The result was negative. I know there are many different tests for Hepatitis B. Can anyone tell me what a negative HBSag test means exactly? I know it means that I currently don't have an acute infection. But is it possible that I have the virus in my system and am a carrier but it's just not active currently? Should I get further testing? Thanks
8 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Do you have all your test results?
Helpful - 0
i am pregnant for 4 months and my dr told me to have a laboratory test. and it cae out from my lab test that i am a Hbs Ag reactivated..but last 2001 i have a test for hbv and its negative so i have a 3 dose of vaccine for anti hepatitis and i got my booster too...how come the result of my test now is reactivated my doctor told me im a positive in hbv virus but she didnt explain anything,am i really infected?
Helpful - 0
Thanks for all the info hepatitis researcher...I really and truly appreciate your input, as well as this forum. I guess my last, direct question is, if I did in fact get HBV from my one-time encounter 4.5 months ago, the chances of my HBsAG test coming positive now would still be great correct? Should I feel confident with my negative HBsAG test? Thanks
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Nobody who ever encounters the HBV virus ever truly eliminates this virus. HBsAg in a person that has encountered the virus remains positive until its production has been reduced to the point that a specific  Antibody will neutralize these small remaining  amounts of surface antigen. Then you are HBsAg neg, HBsantibody positive. Or there is a silent window period in between. The anti core antibody is a sure indicator of true exposure = recently or a long time ago. If it is positive it means there are trace amounts of HBV in the body. It typically  does not really have a neg impact on your health, but it is good to know for situations in which immunosupressive therapy is required - like chemotherapy. Then even that tiny amount of virus often comes back und up and can cause acute Hepatitis B.
Helpful - 0
I just need to know if I am currently infected with the HBV virus. Wouldn't the HBsAG test tell me that? I'm not concerned with if I ever had the virus...not even sure if I've been vaccinated against it. Isn't it likely if I acquired the virus 4.5 months ago that my HBsAG test would most likely show a positive result? Thanks again.
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
In most cases the visible disease or HbSAg positivity appears within one to three month.  In rare cases it can take longer. But you could also already be negative by now - thats why i suggested the other tests.
Helpful - 0
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You need an anti-HBc-total IgG (antiHBV coreAntibody test) to be sure the virus was never encountered and/or an anti HbS Antibody.
If neg get vaccinated.
Helpful - 0
No, you are fine in terms of HBV. Acute and chronic carriers test + for HBsAg
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.