Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Extremely high titer?? Do I have hep?

Okay, I entered RN school in 2000 and received my 3 part hepatitis vaccination.  I never finished school.  When I went back to nursing school it was at a military government school.  They wasted no time drawing a titer and started the series again.  They gave me injection one and two, but failed to call me to the infirmary for the third.  When this was discovered, they made me take a booster before I could graduate.  Now when I applied for my latest nursing job, they drew a titer.  My HB5AB came back at 322000.0 with a 0.0 - 4.9 expected range.  So they put in my records that I have a history of hepatitis.  But I've never been tested for, diagnosed with, or treated for hepatitis.

1. What would cause a titer to be so high?

2. Does this mean I have hepatitis?

3. Does this mean I've had hepatitis?

4. Could I have been asymptomatic all this time?

5. What tests do I need to prove this wrong and get this off my record, so that I'm hirable again?

Thanks,
angel
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
The Hepatitis B surface antibody checks for immunity. The Hepatitis B surface antigen and Hepatitis B core antibody are typically used to check for infection. You can read more about it at https://www.accesalabs.com/Hepatitis-B-Titer
Helpful - 1
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You need to test for anti HBV core total Antibody. If this is pos you were once infcted ( and have some small hidden amount of virus in liver and lympahtic system). If neg your record is cleared.

Sometimes people get an extremely high antiHBs titer from vaccines, but it is rare.
At any rate you are well protected and certainly not infectious.
Helpful - 0
said  What tests do I need to prove this wrong and get this off my record, so that I'm hirable again?
---------------------------------------------------------------
Did they tell you, you're NOT HIRABLE? hmmm Do they think you can transmit the hep b if they think you have it? How?

Hope things work out for you.
Helpful - 0
I think they made a mistake. ur HBSab reflects ur vaccine, not the presence of hep B virus. get a HBSAG test to detect hep B virus.
Helpful - 0
Thanks everyone.  This has been very discerning to me.  Infectious/communicable diseases aren't tolerated well in the nursing profession, ya know. And for obvious reasons.  My coworkers and supervisor basically said I was "black listed" due to this unless I can disprove it.  If nothing else it looks like an occurence of unsafe nursing practice...

Thanks again.  I'm going to see a new MD on the 7th.  I'll have these tests ordered.
Helpful - 0
Easy blood tests to determine if you have hep.

Ron
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.