Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hepatitis Children

Hi, Doctor
           I have a 4 year old that was diganosed with Hepatitis b virus,He is adopted from Russia 2 years ago with the virus.Recently his last blood test was real real high for the virus.They just did a liver Biopsy and we do not have the results yet,but my question is this the right course of action to take and we are looking for a Doctor in south Florida.
                                      Thank you
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thank you to everyone who posted
Helpful - 0
I also am in Florida.  University of Miami has a liver program.  Ihave been there myself for appointments, post transplant and I have seen many children.  Some of the doctors there specialize in pediatrics and can maybe get you to a good hepatologist or ID.
1-877-321-9652.  This is the transplant number but if you call they can redirect or advise you. Best to you and your little one
Helpful - 0
Remember that most adults that have HBV acquired it as a child (and there are over 300,000,000 on this planet right now).

For a child you would expect the virus count to be very high. This is not as bad as it sounds. The thing about HBV and HCV is that the virus is not really causing the damage. Its our own immune system killing the liver cells the virus' live in.

Children do not have developed immune systems so they do not attack the liver. There are some cases of children progressing to cirrhosis quickly but it is not common.

Helpful - 0
Hi lawndog.  I don't know any answers but have seen this site suggested before for children with Hepatitis.  

http://www.pkids.org/dis_hep_phr.php

I hope you'll find some answers and that things will be just fine. My sis and her husb adopted their two children from Russia about 8 years ago.  The children for adoption in Russia pull at my heart strings.  

You have given your child the very best there is!  Bless you, and the very best of luck to you.
Helpful - 0
Lawn, I'm sorry to hear about your new adopted son!  There is no drs here and its just patient to patient advise but yes,,,,looks like you are doing all the right things until you get with the dr for further advice.  Good Luck to you!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis B Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.