Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

coughing on airplane trips

Whenever I fly I cough throughout the entire flight.
As soon as we start upward and the pressure changes I start. It's like one of those ahugh, ahugh, ahugh coughs. My ears also ring constantly and they pop as we go up. I should also tell you that anything can set this off. If I catch my breath, take a sip etc. Sometimes at night I wake up gasping for breath.
I have sipped from a bottle of water, I have sucked on hard candy, I have taken a decongestent, all to no avail.
It is embarrassing, and I think the more I worry about the coughing the worse it gets. I don't like being on where I cannot get away from where I am. I have had panic attacks and started the coughing on buses. I get off and as soon as I can breathe air it eventually passes.
I am not afraid to fly, but I am afraid I'll cough through the whole flight.
I have allergies and take flonaise, but I am still sneezing and my nose is still running. I know this is not good.
I am flying from Cleveland to Jacksonville on July 25 and returning July 30. It's enough to make me think I should take the train and spend my whole vacation on the train! On the train I was okay.
I am probably nuts and that's the problem.
I was wondering if I could be hypnotised if that would help.
Thanks for whatever help you can give.

Jody
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
186606 tn?1263510190
if you are treating and have allergies that is pretty common. i also have mouth ulcers even with the mouthwash and it makes the whole thing worse. i cough a lot as well.
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
I have read that for some people coughing can be a manifestation of stress or anxiety, course i'm no expert and I have no idea what might be happening with you...I can tell you that hypnosis has helped me tremendously, and I recommend it to anyone...providing you get the right tapes, etc...I was able to get over panic attacks, phobias (I had two but they are too embarrassing to talk about here, ha ha) it's great stuff and no drugs! ha ha! speaking of that, if you have to fly a lot, have you talked to your doc about tranquilizers? if it's not a problem, anyway, that's my take...i hope you get to the bottom of it...be well..
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.