Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Post tx hair loss??

Hi friends, i have one question to ask???for those who already completed tx, does anyone still experiencing hair loss???I had my last shot last week 24/24, geno 3, how long does the sx hair loss stop after completing tx???My doc said it will stop in about 1 month, but i'm post tx 1 week and still loosing hair, this is quite annoying for me...anyone post tx experience this also???thx to all for sharing the information.wish SVR for eyeryone......
11 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am so happy for this guy. Finally his brain damage went away.(how many people with normal brains can go into free radical theory?)

I just thought that I was using 7% of my brain anyway
Helpful - 0
Geno 2b/24 week treatment/to end July 16.   On week #19, I started noticing more hair coming out.   While it is not globs (my mother-in-law lost hair thru chemo in globs), it still is shedding pretty bad, I think.    I have wavy and fairly thick hair.   I use a satin pillow case and have not noticed any hair in my bedding.    It sheds the worst right after washing.  I try to wash only 2 times per week, sometimes 3, and I use Pureology products (saw a post on this forum about this product).     I hope post treatment this will not last long.  Have not had to shave my legs too often thru whole ordeal (hurray), but the dry itchy spotted skin has been a real drag.    I am pro on the probiotic thing. Have been taking one since I started with treatment.
Helpful - 0
i am 2 mths post, lost about 3/4 of very thick wavey hair, down to pony tail like 3 yr old (very thin), didn't stop falling until 6th week post. it is very dry and fuzzy, but i have much new growth since about 7th week post many hairs about 1/2 inch to 1 inch.  new problem is they stick up all over the place, i guess i just appreciate that they are growing back.  and i have the goat fuzz that meki speaks of.

nizoral shampoo (near dandruff shampoos) that should be good, lots of good conditioner,  probiotics, and good diet. the chemo takes a lot out of us need to do a lot to put back on track.

Helpful - 0
173930 tn?1196338398
On the topic of hair loss...I am a male and on week 17 of 24 of tx
My hair started falling at week 12 so I decided to go bald
My scalp has a lot of dry skin...do I just leave it the way it is till after tx?
Or will putting tonics or shampoos help in clearing the dry skin on my scalp?
Any inputs will be appreciated
Helpful - 0
217229 tn?1192762404
Dude...

I dated a bald man for awhile before I got married. Woooohoo - loved his smooth scalp!

However, I remember he would get dry skin. He just used lotions for it.

Find a good smelling lotion - and be a HIT with the ladies (or whatever your choice might be... ) Because there is nothing sweeter than a lovely smelling Mr. Clean... meowrowwwr! *grin* Oh - and those gold earrings - in a guy - they can look very good with a bald head.

So - get a good lotion - don't worry about shampoos - because those are for hair. Try a good face lotion - or one with oatmeal essence in it.

Good luck!

Meki
PS. Ladybug aren't those goat hairs just wild? I thought I was going crazy at first. LOL - I'm like.... Honey... will you still love me if I can grow a better, stronger beard than you can?

Helpful - 0
173930 tn?1196338398
juz gal...sorry for hijacking your posts...but whats a few hairs between forum colleages?

meki...Gal....thanks fo reminding me bald is beautiful......will remind the babes on my side of town about this.....

Thanks for yr tip for using face lotion for my dry scalp...thats what I am allready doing....like minds think alike!

bug...as always.....you ae funny!! Nope ...no hair piece for me...now I am convinced bald is beautiful...its very spiritual...its very sexy..its unique...and...its no choice!!!

abbas..thanks for your simple explantion..appreciate it.....I was getting confused on this thread until you can along.....
Helpful - 0
Interferon induce Chronic brain toxicity in more than 47% of patients.Hair loss is a symptom of brain toxicity and increased level of free radicals in your brain.interferon can also damage synapthic connections interfer with nerotransmitters and even kill neurons.

Helpful - 0
Unfortunately you are in the prime hair starting to fall out stages. Believe me after 72 weeks I didn't have a whole lot left (but fortunately I learned to love wearing the long flowing wigs that I never had hair like in my life LOL).

Since you only did 24 I'd imagine in a few weeks you'll see it stop falling out.  Mine didn't stop falling out immediately either but it is growing back at a great speed now (five months post).  It's all new hair and it's very very healthy!

You'll be fine! Just give it a little more time you still hve to detox the drugs out of you then you'll be in great shape!  :)
Helpful - 0
146021 tn?1237204887
I've been waiting to use that phrase.(Juz gal, mine continued to fall out for about 8-10 weeks post tx. It still falls out, but I'm thinking this amount is about the natural amount. I hope)
I suggested to a friend (OrphanHawk) that we all save our hair as it's falling out and collect a huge hairball. (I got the idea from a man and his son who made the world's largest rubber band ball and got into the Guiness Book of world records)
When we collectively make the world's largest hairball, we roll it up Pennsylvania St and leave it at the white house at 1600 to make a statement about Hep c Awareness.
Ha! Pretty lame, but I like to amuse myself.
For those who would like to donate their hair, please send it in a plastic bag to Orphan Hawk as she expressed an immediate interest in the idea.
It'll be like a bird's nest sitting on the ground. (I heard that phrase once and it's meaning is a land fall or fortune just waiting to be taken) OrphanHawk has another meaning!
RE: goat hairs, please leave them out of this project:) I didn't get the goat hairs, but my moustache became long and thicker and I could have easily grown a fu-manchu if I was so inclined. Also, for the first time in my life, I had my face waxed, and the person doing it wanted to cut off some of my eyebrows too.
I will miss my long eyelashes though. I'm thinking of making false eyelashes out of carefully gluing pieces of my hair into a suitable length and thickness.
Shastri, I can certainly make you a hairpiece as I have a lot of my hair saved in a plastic bag. Do you mind a high-lighted rug on top??
Hugs,
Bug
Helpful - 0
good news, 1 or 2 months post tx i was combing my hair and realized it was thicker than even before tx and i did loose hair during tx. this is about the only benifit of tx besides maybe svr.
Helpful - 0
217229 tn?1192762404
I'm 4 months post tx - and my hair is just starting to get back to normal.

However - on the odd side of this schtuff...

I grew lovely goat hairs on my chin - and underside of my neck while I was loosing hair... and uhm... I became intimate with tweezers - going through about 20 pairs during 24 weeks tx... because I would brain fog out where I put them down --- and I would be freaking out... because I remembered that 3rd grade teacher I had that I was pretty sure was a woman...  So made hubby go buy me more of them.

And now that I'm 4 months post - it seems that those are slowing down... And my llama lashes are not growing any more... *Sniffle on the lashes --- yahoo on the goat hairs on the chin*.

If it is any consolation to you - I have naturally curly hair --- during treatment it turned into BOZO frizz - no matter what I did. It's starting to thicken back up - and is looking more human again. So Stephen King won't be calling me to play Pennywise anytime soon - I hope.

Good Luck.

Meki
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.