Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

NEWS - Drugs in The Pipeline

Attacking the Hepatitis C Virus with New Mechanisms of Action: Drugs in the Pipeline

Paul J Pockros, M.D.

A number of strategies for drug development have focused on the combination of antiviral therapy in the form of pegylated interferon with approaches to modulate and/or induce a cellular immune response [4]. These strategies have been based on the successful outcome of combination therapy of interferon or pegylated interferon with ribavirin, which has been the standard of care for treatment of hepatitis C in the US and the EU since 1998 [5-7]. Challenges facing our current treatment of HCV include lack of efficacy in patients with difficult-to-treat disease, such as patients with cirrhosis or infected with HCV genotype 1 (who represent a majority of US HCV infections), the toxicity of combination therapy, the expense and difficulty of therapy and the poor reception of these treatments by many patients. The development of new hepatitis C antiviral agents is critical to our management of this disease. A number of approaches are under investigation, including long-acting interferons; immunomodulators such as Interleukin-12, IL-10 and IL-2, histamine, thymosin alpha-1, IMPDH inhibitors, TNF antagonists, oral interferon like molecules, ribavirin and ribavirin analogues, and hepatoprotectants; antifibrotics; specific HCV-derived enzyme inhibitors, drugs that either block HCV antigen production from RNA or prevent normal processing of HCV proteins;
5 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
and other molecular approaches to treating HCV, such as ribozymes, short interfering RNAs, antisense oligonucleotides, immune blockers and therapeutic vaccines.

NEW IFNs AND IFN-DELIVERY SYSTEMS

A number of different technologies are being studied which might offer alternative strategies for sustained IFN release into the circulation. These include the following:

Helpful - 0
Great info. I'm including a press release from Vertex that hasn't made the rounds of the hepc boards yet.
<br> <a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040504/netu027_1.html">
Update on merimepodib and VX-950 Vertex </a>.<BR>
Still waiting for Boehringer to return my emails from the past year. They still insist that current trials for BILN 2061 are halted (bummer!
<a href="http://us.boehringer-ingelheim.com/about/pressreleases/102803_hepatitis.html">Here </a>
is the "latest" from their web site.

fonzz
Helpful - 0
Just to clarify- merimepodib and VX-497 are the same animal.

fonzz
Helpful - 0
fonzz - thanks for the links - lets hope the VX-950 is well tolerated in humans in the Phase I trial. And that the merimepodib proves well in the broader Phase II trial.

Scott - thanks for the Johns Hopkins link above. They really have put together a great site - with wonderful information and presentations.

TnHepGuy
Helpful - 0
I apologize for making a posting boo-boo down below and inadvertantly closing the thread. I'd like to blame it on Frain Bog - if anyone will let me.

I was going to add a note to that post - that last study used only interferon on the extended patients. And the Benelux study used the non-pegylated form of interferon.

TnHepGuy
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.