Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Have questions about spinal tumors

Doctor,
I have a few questions about spinal tumors.  I have a bladder that doesnt function at all, and recently started having trouble with fecal incontinence.  mri's and other tests showed 3 spinal tumors.  Here are my questions:

1.  Once the doctor does the biopsies, how long does it take to get results that they are not cancerous?

2.  I dont understand how they can say what type of tumors they are (extradural) without the biopsy, but not be positive that they are not cancer.  Is this possible?

3.  Is it true that the biopsy is not a major procedure?  And, is it a risky procedure because of the location of them?  (the spine)

4.  If they are benign, is it possible to remove them, and is this a major surgery?  my hope is that they are benign and can be removed, ultimately cu
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Thanks for the comment.

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
AnnaLisa
I realize this is a late response, howefer, i just signed on this morning and happened to see your posting.  I don't know
if your status has changed in teh month since your posting, but I thought I would submit a reply.
I underwent surgery for a spinal tumor located inside my spinal cord in June of last year.  I am a 26-year old female in good health and it was a very frightening experience ( as I am sure you can relate to)  In general, the surgery lasted five hours, but was very successful considering.  I was informed prior to consenting to the surgery that there was a risk of quadriplegia due to the location of the tumor.  However, if I opted to leave the situation alone I would definitely be paralyzed so I opted for surgery adn I am happy to say I am now walking.  However, I was not able to walk after the surgery and basically ahd to learn to do so again through intensive physical therapy.  I was hospitalized for approximately a month and a half and the spent another month at home receiving care.  I am now fully functional on my own, however, I do have a limp that will likely be permanent. I have no feeling in my left leg or right side but that is just something I get used to over time and it really is not that big of a deal -- basically just nerve damage but I would glady take it in light of what the worst could have been.  As I said, I do not know how your situation has progressed since your last posting but I hope this info gives you some insight.  Yes it is frightening but medicine anymore is amazing!!  Feel free to respond if you have any questions you feel I may be able to answer. In the mean time think positive!
Helpful - 0
Dear AnneLisa:

I thought I had already answered this quesiton but something must have happened.  It depends on the lab and whether your doctors have to send it out to another lab.  Your surgeon would know this.  No, you will have to stay in the hospital, these are not done as a outpatient (at here at the Cleveland Clinic).  You need to ask your surgeon this question.  I can't say anything about your fetal incontinence, I have no history nor have I seen the films etc.  You will have to ask your surgeon about the time frame as it all depends on the tumor.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
Doctor,
Thank you so much for your prompt information.  I do have a few specific questions if you dont mind too much.  My question about how soon after biopsy can they get results..Is it possible to get them right away so that I will know as soon as biopsies are done?  If not, could you give me a time frame..1 day, week, or month?  Also, if they are benign and the positioning and size allow them to be removed, is it possible that this could cure my fecal incontinence?  In other words, could these be the cause of the problem if they are in the area that controls this function? Also, is the biopsy procedure normally outpatient?  And, is the removal surgery major?  What about a timeframe of stay in hospital after removal..couple days,
Helpful - 0

I got cut off in my last post.  The last question is, if the tumors are benign, is it possible to have them removed..and if so..is it a major surgery or risky?   My hope is that they can be remoed which could ultimately end my fecal incontinence problem.
Thank you very much for your time and information.

AnnaLisa
Helpful - 0
Dear AnnaLisa:

About your first question, it depends on which lab the biopsy is sent to or if the institution does their own typing and microscopy, so I can't tell you.  The positioning of the tumor in relations ship to the dura sac surrounding the spinal cord gives them the location.  The usual types of tumors in this area are metastatic tumors (especially from breast and lung), trauma, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma.  It would depend on how big the tumor is and the location around the dura.  Since they will not have to invade the spinal cord it makes it much safer and easier to get to.  It would depend on the etiology of the tumor.  Localized to just that one area, removal might be a cure.  I hope this helps you alittle.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease