Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Spondylolysis

I am a 34 year old male triathlete.  During a race on 6/6/98, I began having severe muscle spasms in my lower back.  After trying rest and anti-inflammatories I had an MRI and was diagnosed with congenital unilateral left sided spondylolysis at L5.  The only time my back goes into spasm is when I run.  Over time the spasms have decreased in intensity, but my improvement seems to have leveled off.  In short, I still cannot perform as well athletically as I could prior to 6/6/98.  My questions are:
1.  Can surgury repair the spondylolysis?
2.  Could regular deep tissue massage therapy prevent the muscle spasms?
Thank you for your time and this very informative web site.
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Harold:

The most common symptoms are numbness, tingling, maybe pain, decreased sensation, if severe, muscle weakness.  Common treatments are rest, correction of what caused the problem, and relieving axial stress on the spine.

I hope this helps.

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your response and encouragement.  As I continue to research this condition, I have two more questions:
1.  What are some of the common symptoms of spondylolysis?
2.  What are a few of the common treatments?
Helpful - 0
Dear Harold:

If you are a weekend triathlete than I think the point is to find your comfort level with pain and try to stay within that framework of effort.  I would suggest a shoe change, etc.  It might be that you have a limit of training that you just cannot excede. Also, it might be that if you shifted your training to grass or trail from concrete or asphalt it might solve the problem.  I you are a pro, then I would get a mechanical evaluation and see if you altered your form while running, if that might help.  Surgery, as a rule is a **** shoot as far as cures of this type of disorder (in my experience).  I would try to do all else before considering surgery.  Message might help alittle, but I think the real issue is the stress on the spinal cord from your running (whether that be mechanics or stress from the surface you run on).  As a former triathlete I hope you find the trouble and get into your training again full steam.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease