Aa
A
A
A
Close

CranioSacral or Myotherapy Treatment following disc surgery

DB
Thanks so much for your help.

Can you tell me your thoughts on CranioSacral or Myotherapy used in conjunction with traditional Physical Therapy?  What about traditional massage?  The injury was to L5, S1 disc, major compression on sciatic nerve - otherwise fit and in good health.  This was 2nd surgery, everything went smoothly, just trying to do everything to make recovery as successful as possible. Knowing that lifestyle, in general, must change post op (ie proper posture, physical conditioning, gen'l care), can any of these be of benefit in the recovery process or are these just a waste of time?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear Kevin:

thanks for your comments.

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0
kt
I have had experience with being treated with craniosacral therapy and would say it has made a huge difference in my dealing with MS (particularly spasticity and brain fog).  My walking and pain levels are much better when I have treatment.  MS is a central nervous system problem and where my therapist treats me is those areas, so there's something in it for me.  If you are able to do both and it won't do any harm, maybe a combination of PT and craniosacral would be good?
Helpful - 0
Dear DB:

Your problem is neuronal in nature and these modalities do not treat nerve problems.  Their benefit is more muscular and they do okay in helping the muscle.  PT and rehab are the best medical treatments to recover as much function and painfree living as possible.  These will certainly not do any damage, and may provide some usage problems such as stiffness.  Since these entities are not reimbursed by insurance (at least not in Ohio), you might be better served in message therapy as it will likely cost less, if muscle problems occur.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease